Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14' Sesquehanna
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I'll admit I've taken a bit of a break from saltwater fishing. But, now that I'm back I'm plagued by my old woes. Tacky UV resin!!! Tried all the brands from wader repair, to Loon, and now Solarez. Same old toilet bowl. Tacky!! Hit it hard, hit it light, rubbing alcohol, acetone.... you name it. Still tacky and cloudy. Must be the Indian at this point. So what am I doing wrong???

·
Registered
470 Posts
Seems like UV cure has set better for me when it’s applied in thin layers rather than a big gob all at once. Try building up a few layers, lighting it up at each step, if you need it to be thicker

You might try taking it outside in the sun and see how it sets under direct sunlight. Maybe there’s something up with your light. If it sets well in the sun (takes longer especially in lower angle sun like in the winter) but doesn’t with your UV torch, then the light could be the problem.

·
Registered
14' Sesquehanna
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try some new batteries. These are a little old. So.... you guys are telling me that I can achieve 100% tack free curing?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Silver creek on the North American Fly Fishing Forum sells a UV cure of his own formulation that a lot of members there give great testimonials. He’s done a long explanation on why his stuff is better than the others.

Most of the time Loon and Solarez work tack free for me, but if I put it on too thick, tackiness can occur.

·
Registered
14' Sesquehanna
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
14' Sesquehanna
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Silver creek on the North American Fly Fishing Forum sells a UV cure of his own formulation that a lot of members there give great testimonials. He’s done a long explanation on why his stuff is better than the others.

Most of the time Loon and Solarez work tack free for me, but if I put it on too thick, tackiness can occur.
Karstopo, I'll research it. I was trying out solarez for the first time last night. Just a thin coat on nymph wing cases, and it still left some tack. I'll try some new batteries tonight and see if that helps some. Deer Creek UV is another one on my list that gets good reviews.

·
Registered
14' Sesquehanna
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright. It's not the batteries, or my technique. I tried a thin layer, thick layer, short burst, long burst, you name it..... still tacky. The thin seems to have the least amount of tack. I'll try their bone dry next. If that doesn't work out, I give up.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,196 Posts
Epoxy should dry hard. I know nothing about UV cure resin, BUT I use in-line UV water treatment at work and, as a result, I know that UV bulbs have a life expectancy after which they don’t kill things effectively. Your UV torch would be the first thing I would change.

Nate

·
Registered
14' Sesquehanna
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Epoxy should dry hard. I know nothing about UV cure resin, BUT I use in-line UV water treatment at work and, as a result, I know that UV bulbs have a life expectancy after which they don’t kill things effectively. Your UV torch would be the first thing I would change.

Nate
According to Silvercreek(forum member that formulated his own UV resin) the issue is called oxygen inhibition. A problem that is apparently inherent in most uv resins. He seems to have formulated a resin that is tack free, but purchasing is pretty black market and availability is hit and miss.

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,820 Posts
I think some of the cheaper lights might not have as much power at the wavelength they advertise. I bought a 15$ light off Amazon that was supposed to work very well, rather than the $30 Loon one. It worked well, but I often had a very slight tack left on the parts, so I got in the habit of post-curing them in the sun when I was finished.

Anyway, my buddy got the Loon travel light (whatever the small one is), and it seemed to do a much better job of being tack-free right off the rip. Not sure if the beam is just more focused on the small Loon light, or the LED more centered on a specific wavelength, but I don't think it is any more powerful overall.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,210 Posts
They all have there drawbacks and they all seem to have some issues with feeling tacky from my experience. Others have horrible smells.

It’s all about what compromises you are willing to make.

I have found solarez to be the best fit for me, though I have had some success with the lightest mixes of loon to, but overall solarez is my favorite. The light does matter. I use a $20-30 in light that is made for ladies Gel style fingernail finishes and have been happy with that over the handheld lights.

if you can set any of these flies out in the sun after tying it will usually harder and not be tacky without a coating. Sadly a touch of sally Hansen’s over the uv is the best and quickest way to ensure no tack once it has been cured.

·
Registered
14' Sesquehanna
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I believe my light is adequate since it cures the resins fully and in a timely manner. I can't remember the name of it or where I got it. Best I can say is that it looks like an Inova x5. Looks like my lowes has the craftsman in store, I'll pick one up after work. What's $10 at this point?

·
Registered
14' Sesquehanna
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The craftsman UV flashlight at Lowe’s works good with solarez for me.
Randall,

If I ever meet you.... we're gonna get weird, you're getting a big 'ol dude hug!! Got home with the craftsman light and all my new solarez resins are curing completely tack free. Loon knot and wader are still tacky, but I expected that. It's a new world.... finally!!! To anyone reading this thread, save yourself a lot of frustration and $$ and get a cheap ass Craftsman uv light ($10 w/batteries) and some Solarez in your desired thickness. Oh happy days!!!!

Randy

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,044 Posts
Maybe leave it in a windowsill for the sun to do its work?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts