Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty much what the title says. I'm new to the boat world and it seems like everyone is talking about yamaha outboards as being the grail of motors. When I did the research though, they all seem to be almost 15 lbs heavier in today's 4 strokes, which is alot when your talking about a 100lb motor. Is the hype just about how good their 2 strokes use to be or are they still considered (if ever) the leading outboard company for other reasons?

·
BBA Counselor
6,918 Posts
Yamaha's were the best up to a few years ago. They were the most reliable you could get according to most mechanics, that's why I bought them. However a few things have changed recently.

First all the other outboard makers (Suzuki, Merc, BRP, tohatsu...) have upped their game. Now most new motors are pretty close on performance and reliability. Yamaha lost a lot of ground because some of the larger motors turned out to have major issues (dry exhaust rot, balancers needing replaced every 100 hours....).

The second thing that happened is that yamaha has lost a lot of fans because their customer service has gone down sharply in recent years.

They are still popular because the diehard fans will stick with them. Think Ford vs Chevy. They are mostly popular because they spend a lot of time buying transoms on new boats.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
I don't think their customer service is a recent issue, it's been bad for a while.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Strictly my opinion, but... I think it's also based on location. It's hard to find anything other than Yamaha or Mercury tech/dealer or warranty facility around me. I don't see many Zukes, Etecs, or Tohatsus when I'm out on the water.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was comparing the new Tohatsu and Yamaha 20HPs side by side and they had comparable prices yet the manual Yami is 20 pounds heavier and the Electric Start is 15 pounds heavier. Seems like a huge jump in "portable" motors weight wise...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,609 Posts
When I did the research though, they all seem to be almost 15 lbs heavier in today's 4 strokes, which is alot when your talking about a 100lb motor.
Im a little confused, which HP motor are you specifically looking at? I'm pretty sure that Yamaha has the lightest 4stroke 25HP available (126lbs)

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Yamaha's big 4 stroke offshore motors from about 05/06 on are having a lot of corrosion problems in the exhaust. If not corrected it creeps up and ruins the block. Yamaha is in denial and will not help anyone with the repairs.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Yamaha's big 4 stroke offshore motors from about 05/06 on are having a lot of corrosion problems in the exhaust. If not corrected it creeps up and ruins the block. Yamaha is in denial and will not help anyone with the repairs.
That was the exact problem I had with Yamaha but it was a 1995 130 corrosion issues that's why I buy Merc.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
2006 Etec and I stand by it. However, they all have service centers and the’re not just to buy or change oil. If it’s man made it’s going to break.

·
Registered
392 Posts
All outboards have their issues. Yamaha makes good and bad outboards. The 225s had corrosion issues, the 150s had balancer issues and the current 350s require fly wheel replacement after 80 or so hours between 3-4K rpms!!

Suzuki’s are impossible to get parts for.

With that being said I have twin 150 Yamaha 4 strokes on my offshore boat (1600 hours) and 150 hours on Tohatsu 4 stroke 50.

If I were to repower I’d do more research on the specific make and horsepower and not just the make in general. All manufacturers have their crown jewel engines

B

·
0 Posts
All outboards have their issues. Yamaha makes good and bad outboards. The 225s had corrosion issues, the 150s had balancer issues and the current 350s require fly wheel replacement after 80 or so hours between 3-4K rpms!!

Suzuki’s are impossible to get parts for.

With that being said I have twin 150 Yamaha 4 strokes on my offshore boat (1600 hours) and 150 hours on Tohatsu 4 stroke 50.

If I were to repower I’d do more research on the specific make and horsepower and not just the make in general. All manufacturers have their crown jewel engines
Dude, where ya lookin for Zuke parts? The www has anything ya want! I have 3-4 dealers here in Citrus county also!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Dude, where ya lookin for Zuke parts? The www has anything ya want! I have 3-4 dealers here in Citrus county also!
I’m not looking for Suzuki parts. :)
I know of multiple instances where parts back up was 2 plus months. Not even getting into the issues with lower units sticking.
I’m not bashing any individual motor As mentioned above they all have their issues. I’d say 80 percent of them are self induced from lack of maintenance...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts