What's the best push pole?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flyfish_93, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

My Powerpole Micro is awesome and quiet for times when you want to stop the boat and fight a fish, work a school, jump down for a drink etc. I cut my pole down to 5' and it is the perfect length for back lakes. I hated having the 8' pole sticking up looking silly and in the way. I also have an 8 foot pole for deep areas while wading and letting the boat follow so I don't have to wade back to the boat.

THX1138 likes this.
  2. sjrobin

sjrobin I Love microskiff.com!

Stiffy Extreme for shallow water. I use it a lot. I like polling a skiff in the wind but realize I am not normal.

3. GullsGoneWild

GullsGoneWild I Love microskiff.com!

I've had 2 moonlighter poles and neither of them had the flamingo foot. One was picked up from Whites tackle in Ft Meyers and the other was picked up just North of Orlando. It doesn't seem like ML is selling many poles with the flamingo foot. Talk to Sil at ML and he can set you up with any foot you want. On my last ML pole the foot wasn't epoxied and I lost it in about 6ft of mud. I called Sil and he had a replacement in the mail the next day at no charge.

THX1138 and Jess Posey like this.
  4. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

That's definitely not the foot we use on the Moonlighters! lol that thing is ugly!

THX1138 likes this.
  5. THX1138

THX1138 Well-Known Member

I emailed moonlighter today and ask if there were other options for the mud foot. Waiting to hear back from them.

Lou

6. K3anderson

K3anderson I Love microskiff.com!

I would rather not go fishing ever again than use that thing you had. F that thing. POS. haha

7. zlenart

zlenart Well-Known Member

The flamingo foot is an option. My friend's dad had a moonlighter glass pole and he had to add it.

8. Steven_Horton

Steven_Horton I Love microskiff.com!

I have a Polecat fiberglass push pole. It is indestructible! I've had carbon in the past and do not trust them under stress.

Don't let the weight of the push pole completely drive your decision. You're muscles are meant to be sore at the end of a workout.

9. Smackdaddy53

On average how many hours per trip do you pole your skiff? Serious question.

paint it black and K3anderson like this.
  10. Whiskey Angler

Whiskey Angler I Love microskiff.com!

True, about the power pole micro. When I'm throwing gear for trout, I fish a lot of drains and creek mouths, and there is not better alternative for the instant break/steak-out that the PP micro give you.

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  11. K3anderson

K3anderson I Love microskiff.com!

I'm guessing none.

el9surf and Smackdaddy53 like this.
  12. Steven_Horton

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  13. Steven_Horton

Nice one!

14. fjmaverick

fjmaverick Well-Known Member

My back has been killing me lately to the point of standing for long times is uncomfortable. I went to a chairopractor today and he wanted $160 before he touched my back. I cant wait until this is straightened out (no pun intended).

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  15. yobata

yobata I Love microskiff.com!

Inversion table! Less expensive than multiple chiro visits. I found that the chiropractor treatments are very temporary, only felt good for about 30-45min after visit. Also, when my insurance was paying for it, they counted as 3 different treatments: electro stimulating machine treatment (ok, kinda legit), icy hot (ha!), and an ice pack!!! I mean c'mon! You're charging me (and my insurance) $20 each for an ice pack and an icy hot rub down?!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  16. Smackdaddy53

I wasn't being facetious, it was a serious question. I have poled over 8 miles and usually pole at least a mile or two and can imagine how a heavier push pole would wear a man out.

17. permitchaser

permitchaser I Love Skinny Water

I like Polecat poles and the guy there is very nice and helpful. He has some cool products
    I talked to him when I was increasing the length of my push pole but his diameters would not match my old pole but Stuffy had what I needed. Go figure

18. Slug-O

Slug-O Active Member

I know this question is not for me but Pole time for me here in NE FL. Is usually 25/50% of a 4hr charter. I use an Moonlighter 22' and am happy with it. Cost was about $650

Smackdaddy53 and THX1138 like this.
  19. PhilG

PhilG Well-Known Member

I don't see how you could go Wrong with the TFO pole