What's everyone towing with?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by windblows, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Jim Lenfest

Jim Lenfest Well-Known Member

I like the hull design. Curious, who makes that hull? The bottom of the boat extends back beyond the motor to act as designed in trim tabs. I see you have also Added a set of tabs....Did you see a further improvement as to porpoising? or was she good in that respect already? I bet she is up and out of the hole fast.

2. T Bone

T Bone Well-Known Member

I believe that is a Hells Bay Professional and the parts of the boat extending past the motor are called sponsons

Fishshoot likes this.

3. Jim Lenfest

Jim Lenfest Well-Known Member

Ahh yes, I see she is a tunnel now. I saw it before, but didn't sink in till you said Sponsons.

4. Boatbrains

Boatbrains Active Member

773C057F-567A-42C4-87B9-15EDF0AE3A3E.jpeg I know this thread is old, but I’m new so cut me a little slack please. 98 ram, mechanical Cummins, Nv5600 6 speed. Custom built long arm front suspention. All the black is Liner xtreeme, paint is a custom blended color. Everything done by me. Only negative I can think of is the $ and 5yrs to complete!

5. jmrodandgun

jmrodandgun Well-Known Member

Your drum is hanging out :eek:

6. Boatbrains

Boatbrains Active Member

It’s a chassis cab rig, duals are on it now. Had to have rim centers bored to fit the truck. Good catch though.

7. rainerschael

rainerschael 1998 Gheenoe Classic

Great thread - as a bunch of you guys mentioned, the importance isn't horsepower, it's the stopping.

I've towed my 2001 HB 17.8 Whip with a bunch of stuff (Hummer H3, Hemi Grand Cherokee, 4Runner), but my current tow vehicle is a Subaru Crosstrek with Manual Transmission. Bought the car to tow behind the RV and fell in love with it (cheap and does just about everything I need). Actually putting my 2016 4Runner up for sale because it never gets used. The only downside is that you definitely know the skiff is back there when you go over bumps (waggles the tail a bit), but that's first world problems. Speed wise, I don't have problems - I've towed my skiff as well as two separate HB Marquesas without any real issues. I think the manual transmission helps - not sure how the CVT transmission would tow. Stopping is good as well - I've had to make a few emergency stops and I've been happy.

In an effort to win the "tows with the least horsepower" award here, I occasionally tow with a 1979 VW Bus with 64 hp (6hp less than the skiff). The issue here is not necessarily the towing (I only tow at about 55mph (rarely exceed 60 not towing for fear of putting too much strain on the air cooled motor)), but the stopping. When I tow with it, I take the back roads to Flamingo....

Finally, sometimes I tow with the RV - but have never used the RV to launch the skiff. Talk about not knowing the skiff is back there; the water in my freshwater tanks weighs more than the skiff and trailer... 2018-04-05 17.01.15.jpg
    2017 Crosstrek IMG_0482.JPG 1979 VW Westfalia.
    Licence Plate EQ22Y.jpg

windblows, Scrather, bryson and 2 others like this.
  8. SomaliPirate

SomaliPirate Well-Known Member

So I just found out there's a company that specializes in diesel conversions for Toyota trucks, and in my case, FJ Cruisers. Guess I'll die poor...

9. bryson

bryson Lowcountry Degen

The photo of the Whip behind the VW looks straight out of one of my dreams -- it doesn't get much cooler than that! Last VW bus I "owned" was a shell in the gated yard of our old shop with a 3' hole cut in the side of it. It was the living quarters for our shop dogs, two big Akitas.

BM_Barrelcooker and rainerschael like this.
  10. Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

There's a 2.8 Cummins out that a lot of people are swapping into old Cruisers, Wranglers etc.... 2 door wranglers get about 31 mpg on the highway, but it is also about $9k. Ugghhh

SomaliPirate likes this.
  11. SomaliPirate

I found a place that will swap an actual Toyota turbo diesel D4-D from their overseas market. Horsepower goes down a little but it's legit 30mph on the highway and torque goes through the roof. I may end up selling my YJ to pay for it.

Sublime likes this.
  12. crboggs

crboggs I Love microskiff.com!

:)

New accessory for the F150 XLT...

[​IMG]

jcgeiss93, windblows, commtrd and 3 others like this.
  13. THX1138

THX1138 Well-Known Member

My Honda Pilot tows my rig like a boss.
    IMG_7051.JPG

Lou

windblows likes this.
  14. commtrd

commtrd I Love microskiff.com!

Watch out it's a slippery slope! Been there and now $65k later it is really a great truck, but can never get that money back on trade or sale. However that is not the reason to do it anyway. The body, frame, and axles are stock. Everything else tweaked a little... Heard it said that a hearse does not have a UHaul trailer attached for a reason. =)

THX1138 and Sublime like this.
  15. Chad Cohn

Chad Cohn Active Member

I've wanted to do this with my Tundra for a while now. Amazing truck, best I've ever owned but the mileage sucks huge, for long trips I'll use my Ram 3500 to tow my 2k lbs total rig just for the fuel savings. What outfit is doing this swap?

SomaliPirate likes this.
  16. redfish5

redfish5 I Love microskiff.com!

Is that a FWD or AWD? If FWD, have you ever had an issue making it back up a ramp?

17. MrNothingMaster

MrNothingMaster Well-Known Member

Got to represent us broke folks...
    20180414_180531.jpeg
    There has got to be more peeps like me lurking on here

Scrather likes this.
  18. SomaliPirate

http://dieseltoys.com/

Chad Cohn likes this.
  19. SomaliPirate