Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
4701 - 4720 of 4734 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
The florescent materials I have are all from the late eighties.
(new stuff might be better?)
I tied a few flies then but only tested in local waters which they did not work as well or better than my "regular" flies.
In the nineties I tied one about seven inches long (articulated) and fished it in the Berkley flats (SF Bay) hunting after halibut as I've never caught one fly fishing. Caught a couple striped bass which in my opinion will eat anything that moves that will fit in their mouth.

An interesting test would be at night around dock lights and bridges in Florida against two to four inch white flies...
As a side note, I've got a few few jigs (2 to 8 ounces) that I fish that I've painted with florescent paint that get used along the Pacific coast. They don't seem to work any better or worse than the non painted ones.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
12,838 Posts
I tied a few flies then but only tested in local waters which they did not work as well or better than my "regular" flies.
In the nineties I tied one about seven inches long (articulated) and fished it in the Berkley flats (SF Bay) hunting after halibut as I've never caught one fly fishing. Caught a couple striped bass which in my opinion will eat anything that moves that will fit in their mouth.

An interesting test would be at night around dock lights and bridges in Florida against two to four inch white flies...
As a side note, I've got a few few jigs (2 to 8 ounces) that I fish that I've painted with florescent paint that get used along the Pacific coast. They don't seem to work any better or worse than the non painted ones.
That lateral line working overtime!

·
Registered
130 Posts

@mro
If you send them to me I'll test them under the docks in FL for you..:).

Not to pee on your parade but if you are interested here is some food for thought on that topic.

In Drew Chicone's book Feather Brain, he offers an analysis of UV material, It may be more of a theory, as he qualifies his statements with " I have no formal scientific training in the topic"

In summary, he offers that yes fish see UV light. Fluorescent materials absorb UV light and release it as a more visible UV light if held under a blacklight but not necessarily in a wavelength that is more visible to fish. The human eye can't easily see the more "fish visible" UV wavelength, so by extension what you are seeing as fluorescing is not really better seen by a fish, and humans can't really see what a fish sees without very special equipment. If I am doing his analysis justice he did not think that fluorescent colors or phosphorescent material necessarily catch more fish.

He seems to focus on employing more naturally UV "reflecting" materials like feathers and certain furs in wavelengths of colors, that are more visible in certain conditions.

As White feathers reflect the most UV light they are some of the most effective in clear water
If you are fishing dirty or deep water there is little UV light penetration, thus there is less UV available to reflect. So in those conditions contrast counts more than UV reflectivity so use a dark color like violet.

Under the dock lights, in the dirty water near me, dark feathers that contrast against the dock light when looking up from a fish's perspective, seem to produce better.

In his book, Drew also admits that chartreuse feathers have been proven to produce as well.
For me, none of this explains why a chartreuse/white Clouser minnow (no feathers) might be the most universally effective fly ever tied.

It's an interesting book if you think this is interesting......

If Drew reads this (lol) feel free to correct me.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
In the deep... where no light ever shines, there are creatures that produce their own light.
This is why I've tried tying/painting with florescence materials.
Some use it to lure their prey.

Jaw Fin Fish Marine biology Electric blue

If I ever get around to it I've got an idea for a jig with battery powered LED lights 🤓 :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
You are correct sir. As a little kid, I was fascinated by angler fish. A seriously creepy sea beast.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,575 Posts
In the deep... where no light ever shines, there are creatures that produce their own light.
This is why I've tried tying/painting with florescence materials.
Some use it to lure their prey.

View attachment 185061

If I ever get around to it I've got an idea for a jig with battery powered LED lights 🤓 :)
Is that a picture of Commie Harris

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Next time when you tie up those clousers try a tiny drop of thin super glue on your thread after a turn or two of thread holding the hair wing in place - then continue tying that wing in place until the fly is finished. You’ll find it much more durable as it gets chewed on

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Great looking bugs (kept simple and in all white...) they'll work just fine in the 'glades and work just as well for the night scene along the Atlantic side from Miami up to Ft.Pierce...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Good looking boxes.

Dual wire weed guards?

4701 - 4720 of 4734 Posts