Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
4601 - 4620 of 4683 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thank you! I am not sure if they will click because of the body material interfering but I am hoping they will. I wanted to keep the body material a little longer to try and soften the water landing.

I tied up something similar in a high tied Clouser, (but a little more visual)
On the skiff, they've come to be named "2nd line hookers".
They cast ok, fished as designed and I think the glass beads did give a little rattle.
If you look close, I left the tag ends of the bead loops long and reverse tied them back as dual weed guards.
Caught a few but these were really test ties with extra material and I never developed great confidence in them (probably because of the colors). It may be time to revisit.

Thanks for the reminder TX. I like your application a little better.

Natural material Feather Bait Creative arts Body jewelry

Recreation Grass Wind Event Art

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ok, now you're just trying to make funny looking stuff.. technically cool, but funny looking.
I would question the rational of any fish that ate that without laughing first. It would have to be on a bet with his other fish buddies and he couldn't take a pic home to his wife because she'd kill him cause it's too darn cute.😅😅

Reactions: mro

·
Registered
2005 Gordon Waterman 18'
155 Posts
Ok, now you're just trying to make funny looking stuff.. technically cool, but funny looking.
I would question the rational of any fish that ate that without laughing first. It would have to be on a bet with his other fish buddies and he couldn't take a pic home to his wife because she'd kill him cause it's too darn cute.😅😅
Baby flounder?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Salt water sculpin flounder with a bager collar and pretty blue eyes to get lost in...
MRO is keeping it freaky out on the west coast.

All kidding aside I am really interested in the application if if is for salt water.

I've tried sculpin/muddlers on the East coast of Fl with little success. They look like our baby jelly fish.

Reactions: mro

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
just trying to make funny looking stuff..
There is no try..... pretty sure I succeeded :)
A pic that only a mother could love?

BTW, I've got a drawer full of flys I've tied that will never see a tippet.
In the unlikely event that I ever run out of hooks... I'll take a razor to what's in that drawer.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ha, I do the same thing.. spent an hour last week recycling old hooks.
It a good lesson on how/why not to use too much UV resin.

So you really have success with a sculpin in salt water?
What situation are you going to it? I must be way down in the line up...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
47 Posts
I saw the 'flee or fight fiddler' -- it's a very cool pattern, and i wanted to try to make one myself.

I didn't have the right hook (so i tied it on a size 2 SC15, i tried to make the wing by trimming down a brush, and i used 12lb fluoro for the foam claw -- it's probably too stiff. but it turned out ok.

Insect Arthropod Artificial fly Wing Twig

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
success with a sculpin
NO

Just hadn't spun any deer hair for awhile and as you can see I'm out of practice.
Thought crossed my mind right after I placed the eyes,
it looked a little creepy so thought I'd share... :)

[QUOTE="Jdl80, post: 905770, member: 313

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got the #6 bendbacks in today and worked on a few more glass minnows. Haven't fished them yet but I'm really liking the clear flashabou. Made a few a little larger and made the last one taller to match a typical glass minnow profile. I also added a single strand of pearl flashabou to all but 1 of them.... if they fish well I might make my full size glass minnows out of this instead of water silk.

View attachment 181180
Love the tandem sets...I'm thinking stripers

·
Registered
14' Sesquehanna
549 Posts
A #4 ducer has been a go to for me lately. It's amazing how well a sparsely tied, basic pattern works on fish but gets overlooked by anglers.
That’s my MO. Quick, easy, and must take less than 5 minutes to tie. Like they say some flies are for catching fish, others are for catching fishermen!!😁

4601 - 4620 of 4683 Posts