Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

4361 - 4380 of 4398 Posts

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
Rather than speculate as to a fly’s worth based on angler appeal when dry it would be valuable to see its performance wet, with tippet, in a tub, stripped with intent to demonstrate swim ability and perhaps “life” at rest on the bottom if so designed. Look good on the fall, ride right, hook point up if so designed, land right, maintain semblance of silhouette. Designated species and column depth, sink rate, etc would add value. “Looking good” is a beauty contest of superficiality.
Salt water is better to get the full effect but if you can get it from your back yard it’s even better!

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
851 Posts

I check mine in the pool often. Sink rate and how they land mostly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Question for the group after Shallow's sweet flies reminded me to ask. I've seen some people put the eyes on the bent part of the jig hook shank. Does it make them stand up more off the bottom or not much different from the way Shallow does it above?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I tie mine that way. I use the toad style fly in fresh water for largemouth and spotted bass with good results. Tying on the short shank helps in hookups, at least I feel like it does.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Question for the group after Shallow's sweet flies reminded me to ask. I've seen some people put the eyes on the bent part of the jig hook shank. Does it make them stand up more off the bottom or not much different from the way Shallow does it above?
If you used heavy enough eyes to i would think it would stand up. I haven't tried it as when i tie with jig hooks i always go lighter on the weight i use. Pictured above is brass. Making it stand up would be nice specially if you dead stick it and let the current move the stop of the bait. now i might have to try it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you used heavy enough eyes to i would think it would stand up. I haven't tried it as when i tie with jig hooks i always go lighter on the weight i use. Pictured above is brass. Making it stand up would be nice specially if you dead stick it and let the current move the stop of the bait. now i might have to try it.
It may also be prone to a back flip , depending on how you strip it. Water test before tying up a bunch.

·
Registered
193 Posts
This has the lead on the bend part. Also adding beach chain right behind that but after a water test it wasn’t needed. There is foam under the egg sack. Needless to say this guy stands strait up and down and give a really shrimpy pop off the bottom from 1 hard strip. I liked the way it preformed. Going to have to put it infront of a fish and see what happens. Not the best picture as it’s still wet from the water test.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This has the lead on the bend part. Also adding beach chain right behind that but after a water test it wasn’t needed. There is foam under the egg sack. Needless to say this guy stands strait up and down and give a really shrimpy pop off the bottom from 1 hard strip. I liked the way it preformed. Going to have to put it infront of a fish and see what happens. Not the best picture as it’s still wet from the water test.
View attachment 176074
Foam on the far end is smart ! Git some !!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Crab is $. Mantis: constraining the rubber legs so they don’t foul the hook has been a challenge in my case.
Thanks!
I’ve cut the rubber legs on my mantis shorter in the past. Probably end up doing the same with my nippers on the water these start driving me crazy.

4361 - 4380 of 4398 Posts