Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

4301 - 4320 of 4349 Posts

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,986 Posts
I went to the vise with no plan and this is what came out. There’s some bead chain eyes on there somewhere

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,383 Posts
I found some Jute in the hobby section of stores I work and thought it would make crab and shrimp bodies

View attachment 171278
Permitchaser, I have to ask you....... Are you catching any fish will all these flies you've been posting lately, or are you just tying up random stuff?? I mean, I've surely tied up plenty of alien food in my day. :alien: But if I'm banging off fish with it, even though it looks like I through it in a blender and somehow it got magically tied itself onto the hook and for some reason, the fish wouldn't leave it alone, I'd post it up here. Ultimately, I'd want people to be productive out there on the water and if there was I fly I use and could be replicated, I'd certainly post it up. ;)

On the flip side, If I posted some beautiful creation that looked like a magazine fly from Umpqua, but it couldn't catch a fish on your best day with fish hitting anything that swam through your chum slick (just kidding), but repeatedly ignored your beautiful work of art.... then I'd be hesitant to post it up.

I think what most people here want to see is the best of both worlds (for the most part). And that would be a fly that not only looks decent/good (and yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder), but fishes well, is productive and something you'd personally carry in your box and have confidence breaking out to catch that fish in that particular set of conditions. It's something you'd want to share with someone you think can use it to be more productive, instead of throwing them an experiment you have no idea will work or not and end up wasting his or her time with it, from finding the materials they think is in the fly, to tying it up and then spending hours fishing it.

Personally, I love to see the new guys tying up their first flies or a new pattern they are learning and posted them to get some feedback. I do like seeing people posting up new patterns too that they learned or even trying out a variation. Hopefully they had a chance to even test it out and can post up feedback with how they did with it, before they posted it up.

Hey, we all love to tie, that is true and many tiers here have come and gone. And nobody is judging here. But I am hoping most are being more descriptive with their info with each post, so that people know, especially newbies, if the flies posted are just flies you've tied up as experiments, is something you are still playing around with and want feed back, haven't used them yet, or is from a particular pattern (or variation of it) where some credit is due for the pattern, or is actually something you've not only fished with, but are productive with it (or not) and what situation do you have experience with it (and of course, for what specie).

Otherwise, aside from the looks of the fly, no one really knows if the fly is alien food :alien: and the fish here in this hemisphere will refuse it. Or is it something decent they can make up themselves, with some odds in their favor that they can go out there on the water and have some confidence with it. THAT is the simple question we all want to know.🧐

It's interesting just how many views this fly tying thread has gotten over the years. But it brings in 100 views who are non-members over every member here on microskiff that views them. So it's just best to be honest with the flies that are posted, instead of random fly pics that people make up, take a pic of and post it up. I think that is what Pinterest is for. ;)

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,986 Posts
Permitchaser, I have to ask you....... Are you catching any fish will all these flies you've been posting lately, or are you just tying up random stuff?? I mean, I've surely tied up plenty of alien food in my day. :alien: But if I'm banging off fish with it, even though it looks like I through it in a blender and somehow it got magically tied itself onto the hook and for some reason, the fish wouldn't leave it alone, I'd post it up here. Ultimately, I'd want people to be productive out there on the water and if there was I fly I use and could be replicated, I'd certainly post it up. ;)

On the flip side, If I posted some beautiful creation that looked like a magazine fly from Umpqua, but it couldn't catch a fish on your best day with fish hitting anything that swam through your chum slick (just kidding), but repeatedly ignored your beautiful work of art.... then I'd be hesitant to post it up.

I think what most people here want to see is the best of both worlds (for the most part). And that would be a fly that not only looks decent/good (and yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder), but fishes well, is productive and something you'd personally carry in your box and have confidence breaking out to catch that fish in that particular set of conditions. It's something you'd want to share with someone you think can use it to be more productive, instead of throwing them an experiment you have no idea will work or not and end up wasting his or her time with it, from finding the materials they think is in the fly, to tying it up and then spending hours fishing it.

Personally, I love to see the new guys tying up their first flies or a new pattern they are learning and posted them to get some feedback. I do like seeing people posting up new patterns too that they learned or even trying out a variation. Hopefully they had a chance to even test it out and can post up feedback with how they did with it, before they posted it up.

Hey, we all love to tie, that is true and many tiers here have come and gone. And nobody is judging here. But I am hoping most are being more descriptive with their info with each post, so that people know, especially newbies, if the flies posted are just flies you've tied up as experiments, is something you are still playing around with and want feed back, haven't used them yet, or is from a particular pattern (or variation of it) where some credit is due for the pattern, or is actually something you've not only fished with, but are productive with it (or not) and what situation do you have experience with it (and of course, for what specie).

Otherwise, aside from the looks of the fly, no one really knows if the fly is alien food :alien: and the fish here in this hemisphere will refuse it. Or is it something decent they can make up themselves, with some odds in their favor that they can go out there on the water and have some confidence with it. THAT is the simple question we all want to know.🧐

It's interesting just how many views this fly tying thread has gotten over the years. But it brings in 100 views who are non-members over every member here on microskiff that views them. So it's just best to be honest with the flies that are posted, instead of random fly pics that people make up, take a pic of and post it up. I think that is what Pinterest is for. ;)
you took a long time saying not put your flies in here unless. I'm getting ready for a Tarpon trip, DIY in May so I'm trying stuff I don't think they have seen.
I didn't know we had rules on posting flies 😉

·
Registered
28 Posts

I personally come here just for permit chaser’s ties.

4301 - 4320 of 4349 Posts