Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

3801 - 3820 of 3864 Posts

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Thanks for the kind words... Chico Fernandez (who's written a book or two himself) told me years ago that they're fun to do - as long as you're not expecting much money... and so it goes...

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,421 Posts
Don't know why my horizontal pictures turn

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Great looking crab flies... All I ever did with crab patterns was try to match the color of the crab to the bottom colors I was fishing in (except for the Merkin which I kept original...). A dark crab for a dark bottom, a light crab for a light bottom... not much else to say from this corner...

Once again, though, great looking crabs... and the way you have those lead eyes set up they should dive for the bottom just like the real thing...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,188 Posts
Trying to copy Capt Bob’s tarpon snake in the first one. Playing with cross cut rabbit strips in the second one. I generally don’t like to palmer rabbit strips since the skin tends to dry up after a couple times and it effects the action of the rabbit fur. Anyway, have a trip scheduled in a couple weeks to fish the Mosquito lagoon again. Hopefully I can convince a tarpon to eat that snake and a snook to eat the other one. That’s if the big girls stay around...

08A35559-A4AE-45E2-94E7-EB908B84226F.jpeg
66D15C5F-8194-4729-964C-AABBB3C599B5.jpeg

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
that shows creativity and what did you do to make it float
The body is “home grown” 😉 opossum tied in a dubbing loop. I’ve tied smaller flies with it and it seems to be pretty buoyant. Haven’t tied anything this large with it though (sz 2). Should float well enough though.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,421 Posts
The body is “home grown” 😉 opossum tied in a dubbing loop. I’ve tied smaller flies with it and it seems to be pretty buoyant. Haven’t tied anything this large with it though (sz 2). Should float well enough though.
Fly Tiers Dungeon has high float fiber that may work. It’s good to watch their video on how to fluff it up

3801 - 3820 of 3864 Posts