Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

3761 - 3780 of 3801 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
two pieces to make the tail?
Nope just one single strip about 2 or 2 and a half inches long. it was my last piece of rabbit so I had to make do. I think it looks better and throws better than a longer tail anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
First "Shrimp" fly and only third fly ever tied. Attempted from a youtube video. Let me know what y'all think? I didn't have any dubbing so I made due with some yarn. Not sure if that was the right call. Appreciate any input.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,283 Posts
Good that you used what you had. Only comment is you may want to use lead wire around the hook to get it to sink. The way you have is eyes on the front and eyes on the back. Fish probably won't care. Go use it and prove me wrong

·
Registered
32 Posts
Purple shrimp. My first go at it, turned out better than I expected. About to whip up a few more. I’m still very new to the tying game

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looks good. The only recommendation I have, is to tie it hook point up next time(mono eyes).
Thanks for the input! This is my second fly I’ve tied so it’s been a kind of trial and error deal. Hope to get it down a little better after one or two more and a few beers😏

·
Registered
522 Posts
HoseMonkey, Your fly will indeed ride hook point up, but the eyes as you have them will be on the bottom of the fly. If you flip the fly over and tie in the mono eyes the same way, you should be good.
If that's just your second fly, you are way ahead of where I was in tying flies. My second fly was trashed....literally. I would still fish this one as is!

·
Registered
32 Posts
HoseMonkey, Your fly will indeed ride hook point up, but the eyes as you have them will be on the bottom of the fly. If you flip the fly over and tie in the mono eyes the same way, you should be good.
If that's just your second fly, you are way ahead of where I was in tying flies. My second fly was trashed....literally. I would still fish this one as is!
thanks! I just been watching a lot of YouTube and decided to take on the challenge. Purple and black has been working really well for me for catching reds here in Galveston, TX. Hoping to catch one on a fly I tyed myself

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,127 Posts
Finally got my return trip to the Mosquito Lagoon planned so I'm working on some old school style poon flies. I'm going to tie this same pattern 4 different ways with different material and see how they fish. The one in the pic swims fantastic.
3/0 Kona hook
Black bucktail
Black crystal Estaz chenille body for just a touch of sparkle
Barred red/black hackle for collar over Estaz
black death seaducer.JPG
black death seaducer2.JPG

Reactions: Loogie
3761 - 3780 of 3801 Posts