Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

3721 - 3740 of 3839 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Posting for two reasons:
1. There hasn't been a post in 10 days
2. I am a rank rookie at tying and would really like some advice, so I'm putting these up for critique. I have to say they look better when wet.
IMG_2523.jpg
IMG_2522.jpg
IMG_2519.jpg

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,393 Posts
Those will catch something. Just use them and report back

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,169 Posts
Posting for two reasons:
1. There hasn't been a post in 10 days
2. I am a rank rookie at tying and would really like some advice, so I'm putting these up for critique. I have to say they look better when wet. View attachment 152950 View attachment 152951
View attachment 152952
Nice looking flies. I would suggest slightly less material on the clousers. On the shrimp, trim the hair over the hook eye back a little so it doesn't interfere with the loop knot. Pinch your barbs down. Go fish them.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,169 Posts
Been fiddling around with some super weedless bait fish patterns tied on an offset shank worm hook. The material is tied on a piece of 40lb hard mono, then all tied to the offset shank of the hook. I UV thin the eyes on and then build up a nice head with UV thick. They swim very balanced with a fairly slow head down sink. Caught redfish on the green one yesterday. I've got a couple ideas to fine tune the pattern and just need to water test them before hitting the fly box with a half dozen or so of each.
green weedless.jpg
pink weedless.JPG

·
I Love microskiff.com!
474 Posts
Been fiddling around with some super weedless bait fish patterns tied on an offset shank worm hook. The material is tied on a piece of 40lb hard mono, then all tied to the offset shank of the hook. I UV thin the eyes on and then build up a nice head with UV thick. They swim very balanced with a fairly slow head down sink. Caught redfish on the green one yesterday. I've got a couple ideas to fine tune the pattern and just need to water test them before hitting the fly box with a half dozen or so of each. View attachment 153749 View attachment 153750
You can get worm hooks with longer shanks to facilitate fly tying. These are VMC XL Wide Gap Worm Hooks. I don't like the off set to the side type, instead I offset them by grasping the shank with smooth nose pliers and bending it up words, which positions the point well above the line of the shank to create a larger gap. The particular hook in the picture was one of the first I worked with before I started off setting them. You can also keel them in different positions to influence their action and tie rattles that flex when a fish bites.
151.JPG
144.JPG
145.JPG
174.JPG
152.JPG

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Iv'e been adding rattles as needed for years doing something similar - only mine are at the rear of the hook concealed by the spreader... on conventional "point down" hooks...

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,393 Posts
Iv'e been adding rattles as needed for years doing something similar - only mine are at the rear of the hook concealed by the spreader... on conventional "point down" hooks...
Then show us

·
Registered
287 Posts

Reactions: sidelock
3721 - 3740 of 3839 Posts