What would a tournament fisherman do to catch reds

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by tom_in_orl, Sep 14, 2008.

1. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

This was on TV today.

[​IMG]

2. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

Tom,
    Did you see it when he fell off the boat climbing down and still landed the red? It was kind of funny! ;D ;D ;D

3. tom_in_orl

No. I was to busy taking a picture of this guy. That had to be funny.

BTW, the look on my wife's face when I start taking pictures of the TV is priceless too.

4. captnron

captnron Guest

I was watching "the tour" sometime this week and a bunch of them had ladders on board. I was thinking about following them under a distributorship for the "little giant" ladder. ;D ;D ;D Pictures of them falling off would be priceless IMHO :D

Tom, you the new paparazzi of fishing? ;D ;D ;D

5. orlgheenoer

orlgheenoer Well-Known Member

I think its a great idea, people have been doing it for years

6. backwaterbandits

backwaterbandits Well-Known Member

I heard there are a few guys that want Joe
    to make 'em carbon fiber ladders...

7. tom_in_orl

Personally I think it should be banned. Its just stupid. I shows what ridiculous stuff people will do to catch fish. Especially when money is on the line. If this is acceptable then what about a fishing electronics company mounting a camera and fish tracking system on a 50 ft pole? How about parasail scouting? Creative? Yes but a ladder or other big vertical advantage takes away for what I consider the enjoyable aspects of flats fishing.

8. phishphood

phishphood Beer is good, Beer is good, and stuff!

The guy on the ladder is from Deland. I'm sure there's a redneck joke to be made here somewhere.

9. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

I see someone doing more with less...
    as compared to spending money for these:

http://www.acewelds.com/flats_towers.asp

or

http://www.actionweld.com/flatstowers.html

10. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

There was a team back in the 90's that used to use an ultra light to scout fish. I never thought it would ever get to it, but they did use it on some tour when they fist started getting big. Why not build a raised bow deck about 6' up on the bow. Talk about a heck of a raised bow casting platform!!!

11. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

Bruce is a friend of mine, he owns this weld shop. He does class action work. If you ever need welding done, this is the guy to go with. He used to do all my custom towers and tanks when I was at Action Craft.

12. captnron

captnron Guest

Who said tourney fishing was enjoyable? ;)

13. orlgheenoer

orlgheenoer Well-Known Member

Tom, A Ladder if Far more fishing ethical then a Trolling Motor;)

14. deerfly

deerfly Opinicus iracibilus

this picture is worth 2000 words, to me anyway it speaks volumes about these redfish tournament guys...

15. captnron

captnron Guest

Tower boat wantabe's? ;D ;D

16. Flyline

Flyline Won &quot;Do More With Less&quot; Award!

That's a bad idea and stupid enough to fall off the ladder and landed on the console if this happend.

Safety comes first!

Does the tournment have rules for this?

17. captnron

captnron Guest

I can't let this go: Well, maybe I better. ;D ;D I will say that the gene pool has no life guards. ;)

18. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

And that it gets chlorinated regularly...

19. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

20. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Agreed 100,000%

Unfortunately my take on this stuff is that it's not about fishing anymore. It's about the competition and the money. And winning.

I turned this show off years ago when they showed some goons with a big-block on the back of a flats boat trying to see how far up the creek they could get, shredding the bottom to heck. When they began to get stuck, they merely pinned the throttle and dug themselves a trench until they beached it. Then they systematically tried to push and pull their way off the grass beds using all that HP.

And you and I are concerned about leaving no trace with a NMZ and a pushpole. Go figure.

What happened to conservation? Would those guys have even thought about doing that had there not been fame/fortune on the lines, or if some big corporate sponsor wasn't paying to get TV exposure no matter how they get it?

Boggles the mind.

So all bets are off unless they tighten the rules. I think they should immediately include a clause that bans all spotter planes and other nonsense as the evolution of this show and series is certainly heading in that direction.

:(

-T