what used boat would you buy

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by gheenoeguy, Jul 11, 2007.

1. gheenoeguy

gheenoeguy Well-Known Member

When I grew up in high school we had A 12 foot Mirror craft aluminum with a 18 HP. We used to go water skinig almost everyday behind my home. This wasn't alot of power but I was able to get up on 1 ski. Now I'm thinking about selling my Gheenoe Classic and buying a boat with more power. I'm looking to buy something that will run shallow with a center console, 40 to 60 HP, 16 feet long and plenty of storage. I want something that will run through a 2 to 3 foot chop where we won't get soaked doing so. I'm looking at selling my Gheenoe and spending 10 to 12 thousand. I don't want something to old just a good solid dry boat. What boat would you buy? Or should I put my money down on a Lowtide 25 and leave my family home?

2. deerfly

deerfly Opinicus iracibilus

The older Mako 17's are excellent for what you're looking at although they need a bit more power, like maybe 90hp to really run loaded. For a more conventional flats boat the older 16ft Hewes Bonefisher's are also excellent and can be had for around $9-10K. They'll run fine with a 70hp. Those new 17' Panga LX's look very interesting too. Thats all that comes to mind at the moment...

3. zero_gravity

zero_gravity Well-Known Member

say it isnt so buddy :eek:

panga dealer is in south fl

4. Festus

Festus Well-Known Member

I decided to get a larger boat for the family and picked up a Bass Tracker 175 Pro-Crappie with a 50hp which is close to your price range. So far I've been very impressed with this boat. It'll go shallow and cruises well in chop. We've done the Destin Bay as well as several creeks and lakes. We've fished, tubed etc. etc..

Site Link: http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/index.cfm?boat=2108

[​IMG]

5. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

Dusky makes a very good 16 and 17 skiff. I loved mine had for ten years and sold to a frend that still has it and loves it.

6. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

Gonna have to change your forum name too ;D

7. captnron

captnron Guest

I'm with deerfly on the 17 Mako. I would go for the "angler" version myself. This route would leave a few bucks in your pocket. :) 90 yami 2 smoker would be my motor of choice.

16 Bonefisher, what can I tell you, lapstake hull will snap my neck every time and deerfly is dead on with the hp.

17' Panga is "interesting" but my research last weekend told me that they were not available yet so your near future purchase would be new and probably out of the budget.

Nice work deerfly IMHO you nailed it. :cool:

8. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

I must agree with the above statements about the 17' makos. My nephew had one and he fishes more than all of us put together and even goes skiing every blue moon or so. The only draw back will be storage. One hatch up front, under the console and seat. Plus the flip back seat for the captain for storage. I guess you could cram alot of stuff in there if you needed to. Great little boat for the price and handles a chop real well.

http://boatstore.floridasportsman.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl_bo?boatflat&1187632691
    http://boatstore.floridasportsman.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl_bo?boatcons&1173544039
    Not sure of the year you are looking for, but do a search on boat trader.com and see what you come up with. Good luck
    Weedy
    I looked at this boat and it seems like a nice little boat, maybe a little to much $$, but still a nice boat:
    http://www.boattraderonline.com/addetail.html?88966771

9. whitesnooky

whitesnooky Guest

I agree with 17ft mako but for your price range, get a Kenner bay boat since Mako boat made the same hull as a kenner. Kenner boat has cheaper price than Mako 17 vs. !7ft kenner around few thousands of dollars.  Get Kenner 18V-90 model which is 18ft long and max rated 90hp.  

GET A 90hp MERCURY SALTWATER CARB 2-STROKER! I had it on my 18ft center console keylargo and it runs like a badass!!!
    very reliable motor!!!

www.noblesmarine.com

www.trackermarine.com

10. captnron

captnron Guest

If this was an angler version, I would probably buy it. ;)

http://www.boattraderonline.com/addetail.html?88966771

11. Lil_Tate

Lil_Tate Well-Known Member

How about a used Silver King.  That was the route I went and I couldn't be happier,  I also just got a micro skiff to fish by myself and with my daughter (Gheenoe NMZ) Steve, you know how much I spent on my SK. It is rated for 4 people.  I know there is the SK Grand Master which is 18'. My SK Silver Flash is 16'7".

12. captnron

captnron Guest

SK is on my short list but here is MHO.  The 16 SK performs with a 90 hp 2 smoker.  My preference is Yami but a Merc will get it done.  With the demise of the 2 smoke after this year I would want to purchase the boat and repower while I could get a 2 smoke 90.  With proper care, you would be set for years.  Hopefully by the time it comes to repower again, 4 strokes will have the right weight to HP ratio and/or the E-teck will have gone on a diet and other manufacturers will have HPDI 90's without adding significant weight over the carbed versions.  

Now have said all this, with the purchase of the SK and looking to immediatly repower, it would come in over budget.  The Mako 17 could handle the extra weight of a 4 stroke much better when it comes time to repower IMHO.

It is MHO that this is the reason so many SK's have become available recently at a "reasonable" price.  SK's will always be one of my favorite boats though.

13. Lil_Tate

Lil_Tate Well-Known Member

I was lucky.  I found a 93' SK Silver Flash with an 01' 2 "smoker" Merc.  Did I mention that I love my Silver King.... [smiley=1-thumbsup2.gif]

Here is one I just found on Florida Sportsman. Repowered with on 05' Mercury, not sure if it is a 2 or 4 stroke.

http://boatstore.floridasportsman.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl_bo?boatflat&1188345253

14. captnron

captnron Guest

That's a nice boat and I would hope he repowered with a 2 smoke while he could. ;)

17' Mako is considered by many to be one of the first flats boats that could run off shore on a nice day. It was a "Bay" boat before anyone even thought of the term. ;) If I run across a nice "Angler" version with a recent repower 90 2 smoke Yami I will be real tempted. ;)

15. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

Ron,
    What is the "Angler" version?? I can't say that I have seen one of those, well, at least not that I can remember.
    Weedy

16. captnron

captnron Guest

Check this out.  And Mako got it right back in the 70's ;)

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16129

Nice refurb with starboard replacing the teak and a 115 Yami. ;)

17. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

Ron,
    Thanks, I have never seen one with that rear deck configuration. Looks good, however I think I would have to pass on the t-top on that boat. It looked real good from the pics though.
    Walt

18. captnron

captnron Guest

T-top is was actually what kept the boat from selling for some time.  If it hadn't been so far I was going to go look at it and if I bought it I would rip the top off as many of the forum members suggested.  It finially sold just before I could take the time for a road trip. ::)

19. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

Murphys Law ;D

20. beavis

beavis Well-Known Member