What to do with this battery?

Discussion in 'Power it up with Electronics' started by rkmurphy, Jun 9, 2009.

1. rkmurphy

rkmurphy Well-Known Member

My J16 isn't level underneath the deck where I want to mount the battery. If I were to mount the tray as is, here is how it would be:

[​IMG]

Is it ok to mount the battery at an angle like this? I'm guessing not but I could be wrong.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could level it safely, effectively, SIMPLY, and CHEAPLY?

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Pressure treated 2x4 cut on diagonal to fit battery dimension
    to make 2 wedges to support the battery tray.
    5200 sealant to bond wedges to hull and bulkhead, screws through bulkhead.

[​IMG]

3. Eric_S

Eric_S Batteries Plus Sales/Service

Optima Batteries were designed for this very problem. You might consider investing in one.

For the time being, I wouldn't mount a Deep-Cycle battery at an angle. It isn't a matter of the acid leaking out. I would be worried about unequal distribution of acid making contact within the cells. The shape of the cells themselves is not conducive to that orientation.

4. rkmurphy

rkmurphy Well-Known Member

I actually preferred an Optima. I used to get them for my car. Funds didn't allow it at the time. I went with the design Brett suggested. I'm way behind on pics so I'll try to get some up by tomorrow.

How much does a small Optima marine go for, anyway?

5. Eric_S

Eric_S Batteries Plus Sales/Service

That is a good question. I will look that up tomorrow.

6. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

my DEKKA was $210.00 at mahoney

Just bought an Interstate for $80.00 To play with but it Is conventional ...

The Oddyessey's are about 2C as well

Dave

7. MrMoser223

MrMoser223 Woah! Wait a second I didn't do it!

Frame underneath it with angled 2x4 or 2x6 depending on how much of an angle it is. Also I would stop using the wing nuts and use bolt on terminals, their cheap and you can get the at your local autozone.

8. tnrwayne

tnrwayne I Love microskiff.com!

look at the odyssey  pc925 http://www.odysseybatteries.net/PC925-battery.html . or the odyssey pc1200 http://www.odysseybatteries.net/PC1200-battery.html
    they come with a 3 year full replacement warranty.
    agm and can also be mounted in any position.

9. Big_Fish

Big_Fish Well-Known Member

$155 last time I looked at costco!