Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious which skiffs/flats boats are self bailing? I'm aware that some of these like the Hewes RF's and Action Crafts aren't a true "micro" skiffs but I figured you guys would have a pretty good idea.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Remember as well that for a skiff to be “self bailing” it has to have an inner liner (that adds about 150lbs to a 17’ skiff)... Most true microskiffs aren’t self bailing.
My old Maverick ( a 1988 XL) is one of the few they ever made without an inner liner... That’s what makes poling it all day possible- but it’s no micro...

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,108 Posts
My big fat boat is true self bailing and yes I have a liner

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
... and for those not aware a skiff can be entirely self-bailing and yet leave enough water on the deck at the rear to keep your feet wet... and my skiff, although not self bailing at all will always have a dry deck to stand on - until I have six inches of water in the bilge so whether or not your deck is dry has little to do with whether it's self bailing or not - it's all in the interior design as to having a dry deck to stand on most days...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
464 Posts
Mine is truly self bailing AND will not leave you with wet feet

·
Banned
12,340 Posts
Unless it has scuppers the floor has to be higher than the water line to drain. Has anyone built a two stage sump to keep from having to raise the floor?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
39 Posts
18 Egret, while not a micro, is a flats boat that is truly self bailing. Egret will not leave you with wet feet like most others that claim self bailing.
The old Egrets were truly self bailing. The new hatch design drains a lot of water from the deck into the compartments, soaks the gear and then into the bilge. See video for what happens when water hits the new deck design.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The old Egrets were truly self bailing. The new hatch design drains a lot of water from the deck into the compartments, soaks the gear and then into the bilge. See video for what happens when water hits the new deck design.

Unbelievable!!!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
My 01 action craft 1720 flyfisher was self bailing. It had the liner mentioned above, but the draining system on that boat was killer. No wet feet and you could take on a ton of water and be ok. It ate it's share of rollers going through matanzas inlet. I think a lot of the other models they make have the same drain system too.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
464 Posts
What do you have???
I have the boat in my signature. An IPB Inshore 18 built by Bonefish Boatworks. It's based on the old 18' Sea Hunter hulls and I would imagine they are self bailing as well. My 16' Action Craft was kind of scary. There was no easy way to bail the cockpit. It was supposed to be self bailing, but the scuppers were under water, so if you left the plugs out, it would fill with water. Always scared me in a really bad rain storm or if I took a wave or two over the bow. I could get it to kind of drain on a plane, but I imagine if it was too full, even that wouldn't work.

I guess my point is, make sure the boat is truly self bailing or it could be even worse than a boat that just drains to the bilge.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Your best bet with a skiff that’s not self bailing in really bad weather (or seas) is to double up your bilge pumps... Your primary is rigged with a float switch, your secondary is purely a safety factor that you can turn on manually when bad stuff is happening. I actually have a pair of 1100’s on my old 17’ Maverick...

Makes really good sense to me since I’m in hard commercial service.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Unbelievable!!!!
That's only Martin's Egret, mine nor my console have ever leaked. In fact, I quit even using dry bags because there is never water in there. Even the bilge stays dry, in 5 years I've only had water come out once when puling the plug at the day.

My front hatch gutters are piped to the cockpit which drains out the scuppers. No water in there ever even taking waves over the bow going out Haulover inlet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts