What rod weights should you own?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Pierson, Apr 19, 2017.

1. tailwalk

tailwalk Well-Known Member

You should own any weight fly rod you're going to use regularly. my quiver currently is redington cps 5, scott meridian 6, redington voyant 8, Scott meridian 9, tfo mini mag 8-10, and Scott meridian 12. I basically only use the scotts anymore but I hold on to the others for nostalgic purposes, mainly. The cps was my first fly rod, a gift from my dad that I used to catch a ton of bass. Once he knew i was into it he got me the voyant which I got my first several snook with. from there I got myself the mini mag and got my first tarpon on fly. Then it was on and I got the scotts. I could see maybe getting a 10 or 11, but I'm not in a rush since the 9 and 12 are sweet and I don't know how much I'd gain from another rod so close to those. Maybe doubling up on the 9, and adding an 11 would make sense...

2. Danny Moody

Danny Moody Well-Known Member

If I answer this, it will be the first step to admitting I have an addiction

el9surf, crboggs, Pierson and 3 others like this.

3. DWJensen

DWJensen I Love microskiff.com!

I've got all TFO's right now:

5wt Mangrove
    6wt Axiom
    6wt Mangrove
    8wt Axiom
    8wt Mangrove
    10wt Axiom
    10wt TiCrX (for sale)
    12wt Mangrove

All but the 5wt and one of the 6's have Sage reels on them. I'm pretty happy right now. In winter the 6's and 8's get the most use, but I'm looking forward to 10-12wt season...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    LowHydrogen likes this.
  4. Pierson

Pierson Well-Known Member

Wow, I honestly was expecting a lot more responses like " I used to have a rod in every weight but i've widdled it down the the 3 that I use the most." That was silly of me. It's also interesting to see a lot of brand loyalty as well as completely mixed bags.
    My quiver:
    6wt Sage One
    8wt Sage One
    9wt NRX
    10wt CC GLX
    12wt Sage Xi3
    Tibors throughout

I would say that I lean toward the Sage action a little more but the Loomis rods definitely have their place. Very tough rods. Haven't tried many of the newer sage models though.

5. Outearly

Outearly Well-Known Member

I was reading through this thread, thinking, Geez, these guys have a lot of rods.

Then I started counting mine.....

THX1138 likes this.
  6. mit

mit Well-Known Member

I started out with a 6wt then bought an 8wt only to eventually sell both of them and pick up a 8wt H2 one-piece which, at least to me, feels lighter than the 6wt. Having one rod makes sense as I do 100% of my fishing from the paddleboard.

7. TailingLoop

TailingLoop Active Member

ALL WEIGHTS.
    ALL LENGTHS.
    ALL THE REELS.
    ALL THE SPARE SPOOLS.
    Coldwater floating, warm water floating, intermediate, and sinking for each.

Just kidding, sort of. A 7, 9, and 11 would be a minimalist approach to saltwater. It also depends on which rods they are.

I have an 8wt BVK and an 8wt St Croix SCV. They are totally different beasts.

THX1138 likes this.
  8. dingoatemebaby

dingoatemebaby Mount Pleasant, SC

I have a virtual graphite/glass forest, but you can only cast one rod at a time! My go to is an 8wt, but there's nothing more fun than ladyfish on a 3wt!

9. el9surf

el9surf Well-Known Member

I shouldn't answer this.

redjim likes this.
  10. Finn Maccumhail

Finn Maccumhail I Love microskiff.com!

Hmmm, let me catalog my rigs.

Glass:
    3wt Cabelas CGR - Wright & McGill Dragonfly reel
    5wt vintage Scientific Anglers System 5 rod & reel (reel was made by Hardy)
    vintage (mid-60's) Fenwick FF79 (5/6wt) - early 60's vintage Pflueger 1495 Medalist reel (made in Akron, OH)
    5wt Eagle Claw Featherweight- Okuma reel (using this to teach my 6-yo son)
    7wt Cabelas CGR - Fin Nor FR8
    7wt vintage Shakespeare Wonder Rod - vintage JW Young Beaudex reel (both late 50's)
    vintage Fenwick FF98 (9-10wt) with vintage Scientific Anglers System 10 reel (Hardy-made)
    11wt vintage Scientific Anglers System 11 - vintage (late-60's/early-70's) Fin Nor A/R #3

Graphite:
    4wt Echo Carbon - Lamson Guru
    5wt LL Bean Guide (OEM by G.Loomis) - Orvis Battenkill (my first rig)
    6wt built my brother-in-law on a Burkheimer blank - Tibor Back Country CL Wide
    8wt Hardy ProAxis-X - Tibor Everglades
    8wt Scott S3S - Orvis Battenkill LA
    10wt Scott Tidal - Tibor Riptide
    10wt TFO Mangrove - Colton Terrapin 1012
    10wt Echo Ion - Lamson Velocity
    12wt Hardy ProAxis - Tibor Gulfstream
    12wt Orvis Hydros - Orvis Battenkill LA

Yes, they all get used. Yes, I want more. Especially vintage stuff and I'm looking very strongly at adding 1pc rods in 7, 9, and 11 weights.

I may have a problem.

THX1138 and sjrobin like this.
  11. redjim

redjim I Love microskiff.com!

Ted, we are waiting,.....

el9surf and Caleb.Esparza like this.
  12. el9surf

el9surf Well-Known Member

Haha was thinking the same thing

13. coconutgroves

coconutgroves Well-Known Member

My hands hurt even thinking of typing mine... I have nearly every rod weight, with multiple ones, from 4 to 14.

4 wt Scott SAS
    5 wt Winston B2mx
    6 wt Winston B2mx
    6 wt Winston B2mx (back up, extra)
    6 wt Sage SP+
    6 wt Ross Flystik
    7 wt Scott Tidal
    8 wt Winston B2x (this more of a 7 wt, great popper rod)
    8 wt Winston B2mx
    8 wt Winston B2mx (backup, extra)
    8 wt Ross Flystik
    9 wt Winston B2mx
    9 wt Loomis NRX
    10 wt Winston B2mx
    10 wt Winston B3sx
    12 wt Winston B2mx
    12 wt Winston B2mx (back up rod)
    14 wt Sage Xi2
    14 wt TFO bluewater

Wow, that's the first I've typed these out. I hope my wife doesn't see this post, so I will refrain from posting my reels! :) I am going to get an 11 wt this year. The 12 is too much sometimes, but the 10 is under gunned.

For reels, I have an an extra reel for each extra rod. I usually fish another floating for another person, or have an intermediate line if conditions need it. So there is a match for each rod.

Note, all of these are NOT stored at my house! :)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017 at 11:49 PM
    Backcountry 16, el9surf and sjrobin like this.
  14. LowHydrogen

LowHydrogen Fly-By-Night

How much for that 6wt Axiom? Serious.

15. sjrobin

sjrobin I Love microskiff.com!

Nice line up. You like Winston. Add an Asquith. Your other rods will begin to gather even more cobwebs.

16. coconutgroves

coconutgroves Well-Known Member

I should add that those Ross Flystiks are for bass fishing. I broke a few Winstons over the years and didn't think it was worth risking them for bass.

I don't use the 14s much, but when I have they've been like throwing a broomstick wih a chicken on a string. There is no casting on a 14 wt, just chunking!

I use the 4 wt for white bass, which is is a blast. Have caught some bigger hybrids on it as well, which gives it a nice work out.

The 6s get used for reds when it is calm, or smaller bones when it is calm enough. They are a great carp rod too. I rarely trout fish anymore, so the 5wt and 6 wt Sage don't get used that much.

The 8s are primarily for reds and get their share of bonefish duty. I do take an 8 wt with full sink line and target stripers down in the thermocline, 20 feet down. It isn't a high numbers game, but when you get one, it's worth it.

The 9s to 12s are primarily for permit to poons. I went to Bolivia a fears back and used the 10 for Payara. Man, that fish kicked the 10s ass! It was like fresh water poon without the jumps.

THX1138 likes this.
  17. DWJensen

DWJensen I Love microskiff.com!

Sorry but that one's not for sale (none of my Axioms are). I can't tell you how long it took to find. I'm only selling the 10wt TiCrX.

LowHydrogen likes this.
  18. permitchaser

permitchaser I Love Skinny Water

4wt. I don't know
    5 wt. Diamond Back
    6wt. Sage II
    9wt. Orion
    10 wt. Sage II
    13wt. Sage II custom made
    My 6 is so stiff I use 7 wt. Line on it

I primarily take my 7 and 10 on the boat except when Tarpon fishing then is 10 and 13
    I have a eye on a new 12 to round out my collection
    The Orion is my best casting rod

19. permitchaser

permitchaser I Love Skinny Water

4wt. I don't know
    5 wt. Diamond Back
    6wt. Sage II
    9wt. Orion
    10 wt. Sage II
    13wt. Sage II custom made
    My 6 is so stiff I use 7 wt. Line on it

I primarily take my 7 and 10 on the boat except when Tarpon fishing then is 10 and 13
    I have a eye on a new 12 to round out my collection
    The Orion is my best casting rod

20. Finn Maccumhail

Finn Maccumhail I Love microskiff.com!

I've been looking into a 14wt for an offshore rig, do you think it's worth the money to go with something like the Sage vs. a TFO Bluewater? Seems to me that when you're chunking a giant fly or 600gr sinking line that "feel" is pretty non-existent.