Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
It can be hard to convince yourself to fish a cast that isn't perfect. We make the decision in our mind before the fly ever lands of what's good enough.
Frustrating when it's 3-5 ft off and you pick up only to realize the fish found it. When in doubt I have learned to leave it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It can be hard to convince yourself to fish a cast that isn't perfect. We make the decision in our mind before the fly ever lands of what's good enough.
Frustrating when it's 3-5 ft off and you pick up only to realize the fish found it. When in doubt I have learned to leave it.
You are so correct. The fish was moving off to the left when my second cast was in the air.
The fly hit and he immediately went for it, but I had already decided to recast.

·
Registered
1999 Whipray, 2017 Tohatsu MFS50
780 Posts
My son caught his first ever Redfish on fly on a 50 degree morning in Pointe Aux Chene La. He was so excited as I leadered the fish, he hopped off the front platform on the same side of the boat I was leaning on. He changed the balance point juuuuust enough that he tipped me right out of the boat into 10” of water and 3’ of river mud. I recommend you don’t do that.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,983 Posts
Biggest lesson I learned was a late Sunday afternoon trip with a buddy. The weekend had been crowded on the water and it was finally nice that all the town folk had gone home. We didn’t really expect to catch much less see many reds. More of a booze cruise with fly rods. So with a few empties in the box we are poling along the shoreline and a big group of tails pokes up. A good cast, solid set and the fish is on. Hey it is fish taco time! The red is quickly dispatched and into the box. Now it is his turn on the bow and I’m on the pole. A few minutes later we are back on the school of hungry reds. Just as my buddy is making his cast, the red in the box twitches one last time, banging empty bottles against each other and the school burns off leaving smoke trails into the distance. Lesson learned, never drink bottled beer on the boat.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Was fishing for trout/reds Tuesday with my 6wt. Made a cast and layed my rod on the seat and gunwale to get out a water. As I opened the cooler, the rod launched like it was shot out of a gun. I leapt for it, but sadly watched as the reel disappeared under the water. After my cussing and fuming, lamenting the apparent loss of a perfectly good outfit (new reel and line to boot) decided to try to troll my other rod, loaded with a sink tip, to try to snag the line. I had drifted some distance with the incoming tide in the river so I figured a long shot, but worth a try. I started the Merc, swung the bow down river and then noticed my rod tip sticking about 2 feet out of the water maybe 100' away. As I steered toward it, it began disappearing again. Got there as the tip went under, made a grab, and snatched it with my hand. Quickly pulling it out, I was ecstatic! Most of the fly line was off the reel so I reeled in and came tight to the fish, still hooked. Pulled it in and was a ladyfish. Got the fly, a crafty shrimp tie, buried deep, with my pliers. Then thanked St. Anthony who has rescued me many a time before, and went back to fishing. Won't do that again!!!!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,983 Posts
At least you didn't trout set, that infuriates me more than anything when I do it
You should see the looks I get on my once a year rainbow trout fishing trip when I strip set a little bitty rainbow on my 3wt with a #20 midge on 7x tippet...:D:rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.