Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

61 - 80 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
I spoke to Hal and George recently and both took quite a bit of time out of their day to talk to me and answer any questions and also I engage in conversation about fishing and boats. That means a lot in today’s day and time. Oh and they did that not knowing if I will ever buy a boat. Goes a long way for me.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
9,060 Posts
I spoke to Hal and George recently and both took quite a bit of time out of their day to talk to me and answer any questions and also I engage in conversation about fishing and boats. That means a lot in today’s day and time. Oh and they did that not knowing if I will ever buy a boat. Goes a long way for me.
Did they email you their top secret G-13 classified documents?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Oh for sure, that wasn’t meant to be snide. I was referring to how much folks get all over Chittum and hells bay or whatever company for whatever reason. It’s silly, I care more about my own interactions with folks.

If that came across that way, it is because it is behind a machine on social media.

·
Registered
855 Posts
So glad you got that beautiful skiff Keith! Can’t wait to run with you down south. I think my LM 2 Carbon is in fact, better than sliced bread and certainly helps me catch more fish. It’s truly that quiet on the pole. I think Stevie sold me hull #1 of the thinner LM 2 lay-up so that makes me a guinea pig. I send Hal, George and Stevie pics of fish and the Chittum all the time. I’ve had it for a year and love the skiff more each day. Absolutely the best brand I’ve fished. That being said, I love the fly fishing community and will certainly fish in any other skiff. Just ask me and I’ll take you up on it! Friends are more important than fishing. Life’s too short!

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
No boat, no matter how badass and how much carbon fiber, is worth losing fishing buddies over. I think we are all better than that. Let’s all go fishing and cut the childish bullshit.
Speak for yourself A-HOLE! 🤣 😂 🤣

Reactions: Smackdaddy53

·
Registered
855 Posts
Wow Keith, that thing looks amazing! Now I really want to see how it’s going to do with the tunnel. Glad you got the spider cage as that should help with all the wind down south. Look, what do you know, they actually mounted the right engine at the right height, which is not something you can say about your last build😎

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Sure it does. But don't make it sound like Chittum are the only guys who take the time to truly engage with a potential customer. Any quality builder should do the same and I know first hand several that do.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Sure it does. But don't make it sound like Chittum are the only guys who take the time to truly engage with a potential customer. Any quality builder should do the same and I know first hand several that do.
Did I say that? I have also worked with several that do, never said other wise. I have no bias. Zero. Mel at ankona was awesome!

I will always call it like I see it by my own experience. Just wish all here that had so much to say had to do it in an elevator with that person on their face. It wouldn’t go the same way.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Did I say that? I have also worked with several that do, never said other wise. I have no bias. Zero. Mel at ankona was awesome!

I will always call it like I see it by my own experience. Just wish all here that had so much to say had to do it in an elevator with that person on their face. It wouldn’t go the same way.
No you didn't. But the title of the thread was what makes Chittum better. So I took your post to mean just that. Sorry that wasn't what you meant.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #78 (Edited)
No you didn't. But the title of the thread was what makes Chittum better. So I took your post to mean just that. Sorry that wasn't what you meant.
Hi @ifsteve

Somehow you changed the quote of the title from “different” to “better”. The title doesn’t say “better”...In the context of your 1st post here, your observation would have been the same anyway...

Today in the supermarket I was taking a sample the store offered of a pricey item.. the cashier turned around and looked at me... I didn’t think much of it, but she said, from behind her mask: “That was a smile!” I responded, “I could tell by the twinkle in your eyes!”.... Communicating on this forum and always in writing is contorted.... I agree w/ @CKEAT ’s elevator example...

To your original comment @ifsteve, I agree it’s not unique that Chittum’s owners treat their customers well. I had nice personal interactions with Kevin Fenn and Wylie Nagler (a long time ago)... Kevin refunded a deposit I made on a Glide when I backed out....(I had a Caimen at the time); he didn’t have to...

About George— I’m extremely biased because he ran my skiff to Andros from FL for me to fish for a season.. Then, I ran it back to FL with him, fishing wilderness areas 3 days, a trip that was a lifetime experience. He really saved us from serious danger as we had engine problems (F70) due to bad fuel crossing the Gulf Stream... George pulled all the camping gear etc from the rear locker climbed inside and changed the Racor... he had the cowling off probably 7 times to remove a dirty filter, then take a water out of the bowl and reprime the engine... I sat on the bow as human ballast... he never once lost his cool... George is a 50 some year old still full of piss and vinegar... he’s totally dedicated and committed to making the best product possible for his customers and to being clear about the schedule... When I first got on MS, I couldn’t believe all the bombast, hyperbole, drama and often mean spirited interactions among the skiff community, and George was in the middle of it. When I first met him, I thought he wasn’t anything like the guy I saw on this forum... over time I realized, yeah that’s the same guy, but he’s really passionate about the quality of the skiffs he’s making... I’m glad he’s built the skiffs I run, and I would only want to cross the Gulf Stream again with George at the helm...

I’m grateful to run the skiffs I do, and the ones I’ve had in the past, to be a part of this community... and to get out on the water as much as I have the past 3 years...

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Stevie

Good response and yes I changed a word from the trhead title. However, I don't think I changed the suggestion made in the title. I highly doubt anyone took the word different to me worse.....lol

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,125 Posts
#allskiffsRrelevant. =)

OK guys truce! For the right person, any given skiff will be the RIGHT ONE. The HB guys won't like a BT, the ECC guys might not like ANY of the others. Or whatever. Ford, Chevy, Dodge you know the drill.

To me the only real problem with the Chittums are the cost. Not saying it is not justified (it is). Just that they are priced such that the majority of guys are going to have a really tough time resolving the entry cost. Me included. There are several 24' boats with 200+ hp outboards that can be had for less money. Conflicting value assessments, and totally understandable too.

For the many who just cannot come up with the funding to make it happen, there will be disdain and that too is understandable.

So it is really just their position in the market place of available skiffs. It is a very top shelf product, and most guys either can't or don't want to pay the price. That in no way diminishes the value and functionality of any other skiff, nor should it be implied via perception. Some guy on a jon boat may do a lot better catching than a guy on a Chittum, of course the jon boat guy might be soaking croaker on the bottom too. Whatever.

Other than prohibitive cost, I see no downside to a Chittum skiff. To me it was worth the entry price. Others will not see it that way.

61 - 80 of 238 Posts