Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lots of talk on various threads regarding the performance characteristics of Chittum. Many responses that mainline builders all use the same materials, so what’s the difference. There are many build threads for other fine companies showing their processes. Chittum owners rarely post in this way. The following IG posts from Chittum show their process, which is really different from other builders and results in an extremely light/ strong boat:

Gelcoat and transom infusion:

http://instagr.am/p/Bu-Lv99FR7Z/
http://instagr.am/p/Bu9ClxtlbSw/
Outer skin, core (which is beveled BTW), inner skin, flow media, epoxy infusion all in one shot, this sequence of photos is probably the most remarkable in terms of Chittum’s process*:

http://instagr.am/p/B1H1dygpkyn/
http://instagr.am/p/B6oCOOFJR0r/
Another shot of core placement in the mold. Core is not scored in the case of a Mangrove which has 1/2” core. Less costly process and lighter boat for lower HPs

http://instagr.am/p/BnomAp3nxzB/

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Part 2

A Snake Bight with 3/4” core, which is scored length wise, not criss cross, so the thicker core smooths out to the radius of the hull. Notice the rear ruining surface panels are not scored to avoid unnecessary resin absorption.

http://instagr.am/p/BXjevlKAQRV/
A Snake Bight with a fiberglass and Kevlar hull preparing for infusion:

http://instagr.am/p/BsoC-7Nh2sn/
A carbon hull after infusion, drain & bilge box installed preparing to the liner:

http://instagr.am/p/BqQiDByhU6e/
Liner installed in the 1st LM2 (@Matts ). With all Chittums, there are no other bulkheads, except those of the liner. The liner doesn’t have sides.

http://instagr.am/p/BoJ3NQaAmnx/ —————
Chittum offers 3 main build choices, all of which have been reviewed by a lamination engineer., suited to power:

Mangrove / LM2 for 50-60 hp;

Snake Bight for 70 hp or 90 2 stroke;

Snake Bight Performance for 90/115 hp 4 stroke & up.

Within these 3 classes, there are 3 main layup schedules:

10% carbon, which is transom & structural,

50% carbon liner & deck cap, and

Full carbon.

There are multiple other variations depending on the application and power needs.

If I could have only one boat on a comparable budget of other leading skiff makers— a 10% carbon 12 degree Mangrove would be a great choice... My experience running the 10% carbon Mangrove over a month in Holbox, MX : sub 7” draft; Level / dry boat. Very strong hull, capable of ocean running, shallow back country fishing and very easy poling.

·
waterman 16
249 Posts
I think it's an attempt to provide actual information on this manufacturer, from an actual owner. Not opinions on price and company ownership from people who are not owners.

I have been to the factory and it is definitely impressive. Say what you want about this product, fact is that a large number of the best of the best now run these boats. And it is increasing.

I can see why people buy these skiffs.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Whats in that can? Is that spray glue to hold down the cloth? What kind?
The spray can is an adhesive spray used to tack the core to the hull or the cloth to the core. Used by all manufactures. When the epoxy flows it actually dissolves the adhesive so there are not spot on the hull. Most of these can cans have a slight color additive so they can see exactly how much they are applying, as putting on too much can not be good.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
The spray can is an adhesive spray used to tack the core to the hull or the cloth to the core. Used by all manufactures. When the epoxy flows it actually dissolves the adhesive so there are not spot on the hull. Most of these can cans have a slight color additive so they can see exactly how much they are applying, as putting on too much can not be good.
Exactly! It’s just used to hold everything in place until vacuum is applied.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
26 Posts
I've seen these up close, impressive but these photos don't answer a lingering question I've had for some time. Where's the flotation foam to meet USCG requirements?

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
I've seen these up close, impressive but these photos don't answer a lingering question I've had for some time. Where's the flotation foam to meet USCG requirements?
The majority if not all is in the core. 😎

Reactions: Fishshoot

·
I Love microskiff.com!
26 Posts
The majority if not all is in the core. 😎
You build boats, a fully 3/4 cored hull won't meet USCG requirements. A full 4 x 8 sheet only yields a possible 2 cu/ft or less than 120 lbs flotation. Plus it has to have level flotation, so there should be more in the back part of the boat to offset engine weight.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
You build boats, a fully 3/4 cored hull won't meet USCG requirements. A full 4 x 8 sheet only yields a possible 2 cu/ft or less than 120 lbs flotation. Plus it has to have level flotation, so there should be more in the back part of the boat to offset engine weight.
You are correct, but forgetting about the core in the deck, liner/floor, etc... and most builders do not account for the neutral buoyancy factor. There are between 7 & 10 full sheets that go into some hulls before all is said and done. I can’t speak for Chittum, but that adds up pretty fast. As long as the boat can sit level at or above the water’s surface with motor, persons and gear weight that is on the placard... that is all that matters. Also keep in mind that many of these lightweight skiffs also use lightweight foam as the transom core! it is a higher density than the rest in most cases bug still weighs much less than the water it is displacing.

When calculating for this, and weight is as big of a factor as in the case with most skiffs... One must keep his pencil sharp and calculate in every oz of material added.

Reactions: Stevie

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
I also believe there is an exemption clause that allows certain builders to not follow the level flotation rule. It’s deep in the fine print and probably takes an attorney to pull off but I’m pretty sure Hal has that take care of if this is the case. Then there is the calculated risk end of things. In most cases if one of these skiffs goes down, it sits on the bottom with 4-6” of gunnel sticking out lol! 😂

·
I Love microskiff.com!
26 Posts
I appreciate the replies and the info, really do. I understand the details but JC is right, the devil is in the details. Sabine skiffs for instance clearly states they have a shallow water exemption from USCG, whatever the heck that is. Given that, I just don't see how the skiff will meet the flotation requirements. As JC says, most skiffs will just sit on the bottom with the bit of the bow out (which is what I experienced once on a bud's skiff). Thus my concern.

There was a thread on here a good while ago about a skiff "sinking" on the moquito lagoon because of a know problem with the garboard drain. The OP was chastised for even taken the skiff out with a known problem, but you should be able to leave the plug out and not sink. This was a well known skiff too.

Regardless, you have to hand it to Chittum for what they are doing. At least they are really pushing the envelope where as other "well regarded" folks are serving up modified "leftovers" of 20 year old designs. I like Thanksgivings leftovers, but if I'm plunking down some serious coin......

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
My experience over 3 years, 2 builds and 2 demo purchases, Chittum does absolutely everything by the book. Could cite specific examples; will leave it at that.

Started this thread because 1) Have learned so much from MS reading old threads, 2) MS community has been great to be a part of on many levels 3) there’s really very little understanding about Chittum in terms of their process and innovation. Am writing this as a passionate recreational angler and skiff owner... have no commercial angle except the resale value of 2 boats.

There’s an intimidation factor about price and dealings with Chittum that anyone buying a top tier skiff should get over by contacting Hal or George directly. They have given back to the community in their own way: donating a boat to IGFA auction for the past 2 years... giving scrap core to various home builders and Jimmy’s @Backcountry 16 ’s replacement build

Lastly I put my first order in before I was a member of MS and heard about the drama in the skiff world. Even if I had, I’m more worried about the specific performance abilities of a boat, than the drama, stigma or spin... Hal, George, Mike & Shane have been great to deal with.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
I appreciate the replies and the info, really do. I understand the details but JC is right, the devil is in the details. Sabine skiffs for instance clearly states they have a shallow water exemption from USCG, whatever the heck that is. Given that, I just don't see how the skiff will meet the flotation requirements. As JC says, most skiffs will just sit on the bottom with the bit of the bow out (which is what I experienced once on a bud's skiff). Thus my concern.

There was a thread on here a good while ago about a skiff "sinking" on the moquito lagoon because of a know problem with the garboard drain. The OP was chastised for even taken the skiff out with a known problem, but you should be able to leave the plug out and not sink. This was a well known skiff too.

Regardless, you have to hand it to Chittum for what they are doing. At least they are really pushing the envelope where as other "well regarded" folks are serving up modified "leftovers" of 20 year old designs. I like Thanksgivings leftovers, but if I'm plunking down some serious coin......
I’m not a fan boy, but couldn’t have said it better. I will add, those 20yr old designs sure changed the industry in a good way but no reason to stop pursuing better, lighter, faster! The reason those old designs haven’t been updated is because they still sell, for now. Hal, East Cape, and several others including myself have been thinking outside the box and some great designs and skiffs are coming in to the scene. The pressure will be intense in a year or so should the economy hold up! That’s my plan anyway!;)

Reactions: Stevie and Rollbar

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
My experience over 3 years, 2 builds and 2 demo purchases, Chittum does absolutely everything by the book. Could cite specific examples; will leave it at that.

Started this thread because 1) Have learned so much from MS reading old threads, 2) MS community has been great to be a part of on many levels 3) there’s really very little understanding about Chittum in terms of their process and innovation. Am writing this as a passionate recreational angler and skiff owner... have no commercial angle except the resale value of 2 boats.

There’s an intimidation factor about price and dealings with Chittum that anyone buying a top tier skiff should get over by contacting Hal or George directly. They have given back to the community in their own way: donating a boat to IGFA auction for the past 2 years... giving scrap core to various home builders and Jimmy’s @Backcountry 16 ’s replacement build

Lastly I put my first order in before I was a member of MS and heard about the drama in the skiff world. Even if I had, I’m more worried about the specific performance abilities of a boat, than the drama, stigma or spin... Hal, George, Mike & Shane have been great to deal with.
Agree, Hal could have just said pound sand when approached about the scrap core! Most other commercial builders would have. Gemlux told me to pound sand “in different words” when I asked about some hardware for it! Guess what, I won’t be purchasing from them anymore, don’t care how much I like their stuff. Might contact Edson about some custom stuff, who knows? Point is, Hal could have done the same but didn’t! He donated way more in scrap core than the cost of a couple hinges and latches! BTW, I have some Gemlux latches I might sell cheap!

1 - 20 of 149 Posts