Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a 22 foot Hydrasport that was marketed as a skiff. Mako makes a line of skiffs. Everybody has a skiff but they are different in almost every way. So what makes a skiff? I know what makes a technical poling skiff (itty bitty and spensive). How does a boat qualify as a skiff?

How are skiffs different from shallow water bay boats?

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,285 Posts
One usage of skiff is to refer to a typically small flat-bottomed open boat with a pointed bow and a flat sternoriginally developed as an inexpensive and easy to build boat for use by inshore fishermen. Originally designed to be powered by rowing, their form has evolved so that they are efficiently powered by outboard motors. The design is still in common use today for both work and pleasure craft. They can be made of wood or other materials. There is a similar style of craft in Central America and Mexico, generally called a panga.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
One usage of skiff is to refer to a typically small flat-bottomed open boat with a pointed bow and a flat sternoriginally developed as an inexpensive and easy to build boat for use by inshore fishermen. Originally designed to be powered by rowing, their form has evolved so that they are efficiently powered by outboard motors. The design is still in common use today for both work and pleasure craft. They can be made of wood or other materials. There is a similar style of craft in Central America and Mexico, generally called a panga.
There you go Smack hit it on the head.

B

·
0 Posts
Copy and paste, I won’t lie. :D
Ha! Was gonna say... that read like it was straight out the Webster or off Wikipedia!!!;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts