Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
So in looking into these just now, it looks like I want a cover with a latch that is concealed when the tailgate is up and locked. Sounds simple enough.

·
Registered
Ankona shadowcast 16
23 Posts
I have a 2020 Tacoma and since my wife and I just had our first child I'm in need of a truck bed cover to make it easier to transport strollers, high chairs, pack and plays, all that kind of baby stuff in addition to my fishing gear.

I really dig the camper tops however they are significantly more expensive and limit your space so I'm considering a Tonneau cover as well.

I like to fly fish and I'll trailer my Gheenoe. But whether I'm fishing in the lagoon or hitting ditches I'll usually have the reel end sitting on my dash and have the rods running out the back glass. I also store my bags and anything in the truck bed too.

So I was curious what the folks on here prefer and what have been the pros and cons you've experienced.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Roll-N-lock. And I love it on my tundra.
20201119_173037.jpg
It retracts into a storage unit at cab end of bed. Only take up maybe a foot of upper end of bed, still able to put stuff under it.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,104 Posts
I’ve had a Bakflip F1 tonneau cover for over 5 years now. Ordered it online and it was damaged while shipping so I actually didn’t pay anything for it. Even with the water intrusion from the puncture from shipping it’s held up very well. Get close to full use of truck bed and it’s nice to be able to put stuff on top as well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Have a Bakflip G2, has been great and easy to install. Had an A.R.E. fiberglass tonneau cover on my previous truck and it was a pain. The G2 opens so almost the entire bed is open for tall items.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am using light model of the diamond back cover. Love it. You can reach stuff that is front of the bed without crawling in it. I had the fiberglass cover (ARE I think), they are heavy and stuff always slides to the front of the bed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well all you have gotten is advice on tonneau covers. I'll share my two cents on a camper top. There are some solid advantages to having a camper top cover. You can certainly carry more stuff inside a camper top than a tonneau cover, it gives you more flexibility. It is easier to load larger items like baby carriers etc. As for fishing gear it is easy to carry rods hung on a rack with the tips inside the cabin. I carry dogs, in crates back there as well. If you can afford it, I would certainly opt for a camper top. It keeps stuff dry. You can put rails on top of the cover and add a Thule or Yakima rack which gives you ability to put rod carriers, kayaks, canoes, baggage carrier etc. The times you will not be able to fit something in there will be very sparse. I find them very useful.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Don't put a topper on a truck, it makes it useless if you ever need to haul something tall or heavy.
Man, I've spent so many nights with my son in the back of our truck/topper on hunt/fishing adventures. We've spent the night in all kinds of places - from dirty truck stops to the top of Independence Pass in Colorado. So many good memories.

·
BBA Counselor
6,897 Posts
Man, I've spent so many nights with my son in the back of our truck/topper on hunt/fishing adventures. We've spent the night in all kinds of places - from dirty truck stops to the top of Independence Pass in Colorado. So many good memories.
I appreciate that, but you don't need a truck. You could have done that with a van or large SUV and had heat/AC available. We used to do that with our station wagon back in the 80's. To me the point of a truck is the open and versatile bed. Any cover that can't be easily removed for the most part takes away from the function. I've had to use my Tacoma several times to help guys move furniture even though they had full sized trucks with toppers.
All of our trucks at work use toppers for equipment housing, so they do have a purpose, but the trucks are then dedicated to those tasks. It's just not for me. Plus I can buy a bed tent way cheaper then a topper if I ever needed it.

·
Registered
Ocean kayak
560 Posts
I put a fiberglass bed cover on that lifted up like a hatchback. It allowed me to say no to all the people that kept asking me to help them move. Lol.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a TruXedo Lo Pro soft roll cover. Things been awesome for the 3 or so years I’ve had it. Best part is it can be removed in like 5 seconds and you only have small rails running inside the truck bed which I find don’t get in the way of anything.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
132 Posts
Gator FX3 tri fold hard cover on my Colorado. I like it's features and that it folds up behind the rear window. It is locked when my tailgate is locked, but any kid with a coat hanger could unlock it from the rear through the weather strip. The only problem is it leaks. I have to keep everything in waterproof boxes that I normally carry. I put additional weather striping on the front and 1/4" rubber between the folding parts, and put silicone sealer between the panels and side weather strip. Slowed it down but it will still leak from the latches in a heavy rain. I don't think they use any sealer when the tri fold pieces have the moldings installed. My neighbor has a Backflip and it leaks too. My son has a Gator folding soft cover and his is totally dry. I have an old Toyota truck with an Xtang soft snap on cover and it never leaks a drop. There are plenty of You Tube videos on water leaks in bed covers.

·
Mount Pleasant, SC
189 Posts
Extang solid fold 2.0 on my 2016 Taco works well

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I appreciate that, but you don't need a truck. You could have done that with a van or large SUV and had heat/AC available. We used to do that with our station wagon back in the 80's. To me the point of a truck is the open and versatile bed. Any cover that can't be easily removed for the most part takes away from the function. I've had to use my Tacoma several times to help guys move furniture even though they had full sized trucks with toppers.
All of our trucks at work use toppers for equipment housing, so they do have a purpose, but the trucks are then dedicated to those tasks. It's just not for me. Plus I can buy a bed tent way cheaper then a topper if I ever needed it.
@firecat1981 this almost pushes me towards the camper top more so I can get off furniture duty when any friends move haha.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ive got a factory tri-fold on my ram. I like that I can take it off or put it on in 2 minutes. It hangs in the garage 90% of the time, but it's nice for road trips. I also like that I can fold it, strap it down, and have access to 2/3 of the bed without completely removing it (and driving with it in that position).

My other truck came with a solid fiberglass tonneau. Hinged with hydraulic lift assist. 2 man job to take it off, and can't drive with it tilted. I took it off and almost couldn't give it away free.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts