Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 Tacoma and since my wife and I just had our first child I'm in need of a truck bed cover to make it easier to transport strollers, high chairs, pack and plays, all that kind of baby stuff in addition to my fishing gear.

I really dig the camper tops however they are significantly more expensive and limit your space so I'm considering a Tonneau cover as well.

I like to fly fish and I'll trailer my Gheenoe. But whether I'm fishing in the lagoon or hitting ditches I'll usually have the reel end sitting on my dash and have the rods running out the back glass. I also store my bags and anything in the truck bed too.

So I was curious what the folks on here prefer and what have been the pros and cons you've experienced.

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I've got a Pace Edwards UltraGroove Electric bed cover on my F150, and have been very happy with it. It costs what a camper top would though. Before that, I had a bi-fold hard cover that I bought off Amazon that I had zero complaints about. The only con to the bi-fold, is that you lose top access to the front 3rd of your bed. The bi-fold is surprisingly secure, if you have a locking tailgate. It' not going to turn your bed into Fort Knox, but it would take some effort to get into it.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I have a soft tri fold from gator covers. Honestly it’s the best $250 I’ve spent. The cover is great and keeps everything in the bed bone dry. I have a couple friends that got the same cover and seem to be equally happy.

·
BBA Counselor
6,917 Posts
I have a '19 Tacoma now, and had a '15 before. A bed cover makes the truck 10 times more usable and I'll never have a truck without one. I put vinyl Tri-folds on both of them, and they work great, but durability is a concern because in truth I ordered cheap ones. My current one is $100 from Amazon. My next Tacoma I think I'll upgrade to a hard tri-fold.

Don't put a topper on a truck, it makes it useless if you ever need to haul something tall or heavy.

Don't put a fiberglass one piece tonneau cover on. Eventually you'll need to haul something bigger and they are a pain to remove and store. They hinder reaching the back of the bed too.

The Tri-fold and roll up rigid covers are the best all around. Easy to fold up, quick access, and can be easily removed and stored if needed.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Following. Might be the gf's Christmas present for her new F250. We do practical these days. What will lock when the tailgate locks?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@firecat1981 I think you're right about the roll up ones. They are cost feasible and allow access to the full bed and will allow me to still hull anything larger.

·
You got to get burned to learn
431 Posts
I had the RollnLock on my last truck and the Retrax on my current. Both are great products that I never had\have issues with. I went with the Retrax on the new truck because of the flush canister which makes it look slicker. The biggest draw back most people have with the roll a ways are the canister takes up about a foot of bed space but it sticks above the floor so you can still slide rods under it.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Following. Might be the gf's Christmas present for her new F250. We do practical these days. What will lock when the tailgate locks?
Depends on the style you get.

Manual rolling retractable covers will have lock cylinders at the tailgate end. The higher end tri-folds will have lock cylinders on the front, and rear panels. The bi-folds will have spring loaded handles on the bottom side of the rear (tailgate end) panel that latch onto the inner lip of the bed.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
I have a Roll n Lock , they lock into side track on unit. can’t stack on top ,can hold water in canister. Best I had was custom , hinged down the middle ,opened from left and right, full length You could reach everything & stack on top

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's much appreciated @Forrest. I'm going to do some more research but I may take you up on that. On a side note, that Gladesmen you sold recently was BADASS.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have the Xtang trifold on my current and prior truck and love it. I don't think I'd put a soft cover on if I had stuff in there I was concerned about.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
So if she can fly fish... Can I have her number :)
Her skiff. This is before I put the Sumo Springs bump stops which cut the squat in half. There's a ton of pin weight (probably literally). I also dropped the stem on the trailer a notch to give more clearance over the bed/tailgate.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts