Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Growing up in Florida, we used to go to the beach to treat skin ailments like poison ivy and others. Now I actually worry about the water. Might just be more people and it makes the news now. So we hear more about water borne illnesses now. The question is. What one item would you keep with you to put on a cut or scrap while on the water? Alcohol, Neosporin, hydrogen peroxide. Or is there a combination or order of application recommended?

·
BBA Counselor
7,230 Posts
I like hydrogen peroxide just to flush the wound out, then neosporin, or similar, to keep anything from developing. If it happened on land I'd say just mild soap and water, but these are different times.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
Water to rinse it out and super glue to close it up.
Yeah you say that then it starts swelling, turning red and in less than 3 hours you are getting something amputated.
If you are a drunk, have immune deficiencies, old and fat or have diabetes you need to know what to do because you are at the highest risk.
It’s nothing new, just social media hyped it up and we hear about it more because we have almost unlimited access to media.
Take this from a guy that jumps out of a boat and wet wades more than some of you are on a boat and has done so for three decades.

·
Brandon, FL
10,934 Posts
Yeah you say that then it starts swelling, turning red and in less than 3 hours you are getting something amputated.
If you are a drunk, have immune deficiencies, old and fat or have diabetes you need to know what to do because you are at the highest risk.
It’s nothing new, just social media hyped it up and we hear about it more because we have almost unlimited access to media.
Take this from a guy that jumps out of a boat and wet wades more than some of you are on a boat and has done so for three decades.
The question was "one item", not "one cabinet" but your point is well taken.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
The question was "one item", not "one cabinet" but your point is well taken.
Hibiclens in your ice chest or at least in a cool place on your boat.
One item...
It’s about once a week down here. Some fat ass diabetic slamming whiskey gets it and loses a limb because he either got in the water with an open wound, waded and got cut by something or got stuck by a fish fin while cleaning fish and never heeded the warnings.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Keep a bottle of Hibiclens in the cooler.
This stuff is worth it's weight in gold for preventing infections. I used to be a materials director in a hospital & constantly had to order this stuff. It kills the three biggest hospital nasties, MRSA, VRE & C-Diff. If it kills those, it'll probably kill anything you come in contact with in the water too. The nurses used to hoard this stuff in the back of cupboards, drawers & file cabinets.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Irrigate with large volume of cleanest water possible, apply by pressure ideally
And
Honey (used for hundreds of years) soaked dressing or iodine products.

Hydrogen peroxide and alcohol actually slow wound healing.

Bacitracin/neosporin might have some benefits.

This is what we use for wound care in austere environment with prolonged time to high care in the military. (I am Army doctor)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Growing up in Florida, we used to go to the beach to treat skin ailments like poison ivy and others. Now I actually worry about the water. Might just be more people and it makes the news now. So we hear more about water borne illnesses now. The question is. What one item would you keep with you to put on a cut or scrap while on the water? Alcohol, Neosporin, hydrogen peroxide. Or is there a combination or order of application recommended?
Ive actually been steering clear for the meantime. Vibrio has popped up in my area, and that stuff is no joke. So for the time being I will get some work done to the boat and wait for some cooler weather to roll in. The heat is also a factor atm, its just oppresive

·
Brandon, FL
10,934 Posts
This stuff is worth it's weight in gold for preventing infections. I used to be a materials director in a hospital & constantly had to order this stuff. It kills the three biggest hospital nasties, MRSA, VRE & C-Diff. If it kills those, it'll probably kill anything you come in contact with in the water too. The nurses used to hoard this stuff in the back of cupboards, drawers & file cabinets.
If this stuff kills mrsa, then why are 85% of all mrsa infections come from hospitals?

Just curious

·
Banned
4,551 Posts
Curious people should call an ER in the Turd World that is prone to flesh eating pathos. TX, FL, GA, SC, LA, MS, AL all qualify.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If this stuff kills mrsa, then why are 85% of all mrsa infections come from hospitals?

Just curious
Just a lot higher concentration of people that are colonized with MRSA visit those places. If a person had an active infection in the past, but it went away, they can still be colonized. It lives on their skin, they touch stuff or other people & it spreads to someone else. Even if the hospital is doing everything they are supposed to do, other people that don't know better can still be spreading it around.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts