Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, new-ish member here. I've been lurking for a while, replied a few times, but never created a post.

I grew up in Islamorada fishing the flats and occasionally running up to Flamingo, but now I'm in the Tampa area. I've been looking at upgrading from my kayak into a small skiff that can be stored in my garage, can be poled around the St. Joes flats, and can occasionally run a mile or two nearshore when the conditions are right. I typically fish artificial, but would be interested in a livewell for bait when I bring out friends. Optimally, looking for a used boat in the 10-15k range.

Anyways, with all of this said, what do you guys think of a Hewes Redfisher? They seem like a rather affordable platform that may meet my needs. Do you guys think they draft too deep for flats fishing?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've never been on a redfisher, but I spent a lot of time on a friends bonefisher lappy. For the tampa bay area, it's probably your best option in that price range. Very good with chop for the size, nice layout, you can pole it if you want to and the draft should be somewhere around 8-10" depending on load which should be more than shallow enough for almost any place you wanna be in the tampa bay area

·
I Love microskiff.com!
338 Posts
Great boat for what you described. I owned one for years.
Super stable. Drafts about 10” -12” depending on the load. I ran light with a 90 Yamaha 2 stroke so mine was closer to 10”.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Its always been one of those boats I wished I had.. I lived in Key Largo and had a 20' ProLine modified V and it went everywhere except the flats.

For Tampa bay, and the area that would be a good choice, for the offshore you'd have to pick calm days. Tampa is easier because you don't gave the tight narrow inlets.. its an easy trip out thru the Skyway, with a quick stop for bait, then out around the outside south side tarpon grounds, but a long trip to deeper water for bottom drops.

My son has a fully rigged out 25' Pathfinder with dual upper/lower control stations and big outbaord, typical for up there.. its rigged with dual power poles and remote trolling motor and he goes all over the Bay, including up into some pretty skinny water for a boat that size.. I'd venture to say it drafts easily 12-18" of water.. you would not want to pole it but we sure idle up into the miles of mangrove shoreline for Snook and Redfish hunting... with this rig on good days he also run's out 25 miles off St. Pete beach into 85'-90' depths to drop baits for Grouper and Sanpper.

That bay does get very choppy, but there are many options to sheltered area's to fish, and good fishing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its always been one of those boats I wished I had.. I lived in Key Largo and had a 20' ProLine modified V and it went everywhere except the flats.

For Tampa bay, and the area that would be a good choice, for the offshore you'd have to pick calm days. Tampa is easier because you don't gave the tight narrow inlets.. its an easy trip out thru the Skyway, with a quick stop for bait, then out around the outside south side tarpon grounds, but a long trip to deeper water for bottom drops.

My son has a fully rigged out 25' Pathfinder with dual upper/lower control stations and big outbaord, typical for up there.. its rigged with dual power poles and remote trolling motor and he goes all over the Bay, including up into some pretty skinny water for a boat that size.. I'd venture to say it drafts easily 12-18" of water.. you would not want to pole it but we sure idle up into the miles of mangrove shoreline for Snook and Redfish hunting... with this rig on good days he also run's out 25 miles off St. Pete beach into 85'-90' depths to drop baits for Grouper and Sanpper.

That bay does get very choppy, but there are many options to sheltered area's to fish, and good fishing.
Yeh a 20-24 foot bay boat would probably be more ideal for everything I want to do, but I would like to store the boat in the garage so I’m looking for something a bit smaller. Sounds like your son has a sweet rig though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts