what do you think

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by fishhawk, Mar 8, 2010.

1. fishhawk

fishhawk I Love microskiff.com!

got 25 johnson the problem I'm having is one minute it'll run fine then i'll stop to fish and when I start again and take off sometimes the motor will miss really bad. If I let off the gas and then hit it again it may take off fine or start missing. I may have to do this a couple time before it take off good and runs fine. I have cleaned the carbs twice and put a rebuilt kit in it. If the carb was dirty wouldn't the motor miss all the time?

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Small amount of water in fuel?
    Air leak in the fuel system?
    Old fuel pump diaphragm?
    Check valve in the fuel line not working? (allowing siphoning to take place)

3. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

ck fuel/water seperator
    blow out fuel line
    if a permanent tank ck overflow line for clogging

4. fishhawk

Ran the boat today, with nothing changed except the motor I put a 20hp yamaha on the boat to see what would happen. The motor ran good even with the 50 to 1 mixtrue.

5. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

so now we know the problem is inside thd motor--carb is the first step ck it again---dump the bowl---then do Brett's stuff

6. Gramps

Gramps Living &amp; Dying in 3/4 Time

Did you use a different fuel connector? I had a bad one for my Mercury, it acted very similar. Ask MATT he almost had to tow me through the Ft. Pierce turning basin ;)

7. fishhawk

Thanks guys, I'm going to try some of the things mentioned

8. Peter2006

Peter2006 I Love microskiff.com!

Check the stator and timer base wires for chafing. they move when you throttle up. Could also be a bad ground between the ignition coils and cylinder head bosses.
    Didn't say what year you had so I'm thinking it's a CD Ignition not points.

9. fishhawk

It's a 05 johnson