Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 800 Posts

·
FlounderPounder
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see one. Let's try to keep this this going and on the first page. Pretty simple, post pics of your most recent day fishing & let us know where.

02/22/14 Pine Island

;D

·
I Love microskiff.com!
298 Posts
I didn't have near the day you had above but I caught a few trout on top water, saw a couple Reds on the flats that wouldn't cooperate. Mosquito Lagoon 02-21-14.  :cool:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Most recent trips to Mosquito And Indian River Lagoons

And the last trip to flamingo over the summer, not really recent but anyone who's been there knows what that place holds.

Tight Lines

·
Registered
51 Posts
NIRL 2/25
Wind was being finicky...5 mph one sec and 20 the next. Lots of shots at reds but no connections. So I got the skunk off with a few trout. Certainly no gators but hey, my boat doesn't stink...

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,397 Posts
I did not catch anything today because I was working on my Flats Boat. But by Gosh I am looking forward to showing off

·
FlounderPounder
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fowl- any day of fishing is better than work!

Permit- how close are you to done? Need some pictures in here! I'm not much of a very gooder reader, just like pictures!! ;D

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,397 Posts
I'll take some tomorrow. I am close and eating for my mechanic to make room for it. He needs to run the fuel lines to USCG specs so I won't get arrested by the Feds. It has gone through a cap off restoring. Wiring, pumps, gas tank, gauges, throttle lever, new used motor, refinish hatches

I put the T brace in today in the front hatch. It has a big hole in the floor were the gas tank was taken out. It is still cold here in GA so I can only work on it on warms days. I can't wait to get it on the water. Thanks for asking :cool:

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
We got our first good tarpon on fly this year just after midnight this morning (I came off the water just before 3am...). The fish, between 70 and 80lbs was up under a bridge in Biscayne Bay....
Local angler Neil Franklin did the honors and I first leadered the fish more than 1/4 mile from where we hooked it. Unfortunately the Sage 9wt he was using didn't survive the experience.... (not enough gun - but we were shooting at fsh in the 30 to 40lb range when the much bigger fish took the fly going away...). I actually had the leader four or five times before the rod broke after more than 30 minutes on the fish. We quickly got the broken end up to where Neil could hold on to it, then I leadered the fish one last time to where I could reach it's jaw. Wouldn't you guess the fish not only had enough left to pop the leader but also gave me a good head slap with its tail as it turned on the heat.....

Great fish, great release, but we've got to find some smaller fish or use bigger rods. I'll be at Flamingo tomorrow (Monday) and we'll hunt even bigger fish with spinning gear. I'll make a point of posting some fish pics of this morning's fish with my next fishing report....

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,625 Posts
Caught a skunk in the IRL this morning.

But I did see a lot of fish making wakes away from me and my iPilot just outside casting range.

Tried anchoring in the hopes I could catch one passing by. Nothing.

Head back, load boat on trailer, then hear this weird whirring sound while moving my boat bag from the rear dry storage to the truck for the ride back. Too much ambient noise near the ramp to figure out where its coming from, but turning the battery switch off stopped it.

During the drive home I'm thinking I may need to change a switch or solenoid for my jack plate. Get home, turn the battery switch back on, and the sound comes back. But this time it sounds exactly like my bilge pump running.

It was. Must have it hit with my knee on the way out and never noticed it on the water. I guess the water absorbed the sound through the hull and scared all the redfish away.

One more thing for the check list.

·
Sight Fishing South Florida
826 Posts
Caught a skunk in the IRL this morning.

But I did see a lot of fish making wakes away from me and my iPilot just outside casting range.

Tried anchoring in the hopes I could catch one passing by. Nothing.

Head back, load boat on trailer, then hear this weird whirring sound while moving my boat bag from the rear dry storage to the truck for the ride back. Too much ambient noise near the ramp to figure out where its coming from, but turning the battery switch off stopped it.

During the drive home I'm thinking I may need to change a switch or solenoid for my jack plate. Get home,  turn the battery switch back on, and the sound comes back. But this time it sounds exactly like my bilge pump running.

It was. Must have it hit with my knee on the way out and never noticed it on the water. I guess the water absorbed the sound through the hull and scared all the redfish away.

One more thing for the check list.
And get rid of that trolling motor.....

[ch128512]

·
Registered
51 Posts
A nice early morning slottie from NIRL this morning. 23" on the law stick. Wind kicked up after 11 and called it quits. Also found a nice school of black drum but they weren't hungry.

1 - 20 of 800 Posts