Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Fly-By-Night
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched for this type of thread but no luck, I'm new so hopefully this type of question hasn't been beaten to death.

What are the top 2 (more if you deem necessary) rod setups that always make it on to the boat. Details of Rod/Reel/Line selection, and what your target is.

TFO Axiom 8wt, 3-Tand T-70, 8wt Rio Tropical Outbound Short Target - Redfish, Jacks, Bonito, for windy days
Sage Xi2 12wt, Tibor Gulfstream, 12wt Scientific Anglers Mastery Target - Tarpon....will be my first year specifically chasing Panhandle Tarpon

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
To really do this right you have to start with the target in mind. So here are my go to outfits based upon my targets:

Bull reds: Sage Xi3 10wt with a Rio Redfish on an Abel Super 10 and a Sage Salt 9wt with a Rio Redfish on an Hatch 7+

Slot reds: Sage Xi3 8wt with a Rio Redfish on an Abel Super 7/8N and a Sage Xi3 6wt with a Rio Redfish on an Abel Super 6N

Tarpon: Sage Xi3 12 wt with a Rio Tarpon on an Abel Super 12 and a Sage Xi3 10 wt with a Rio Tarpon on an Abel Super 10

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,874 Posts
Allen Icon II 6 wt. rod, Allen Kraken 2 Reel, Royal Wulff Saltwater triangle taper 6 wt. line; for beach snook and everything else on the open flats throwing smaller flies.

Allen Azimuth 8 wt. rod, Allen Omega 3 Reel, Royal Wulff Bermuda Shorts 8 wt. line; for windy days on the flats or working mangroves and docks for snook, reds, and juvy poons. This rod is a topwater fly rod primarily.

Clutch Theory 12 wt. rod, Allen Kraken XLA 5 Reel, Royal Wulff Bermuda Shorts 12 wt. line on one spool, 12 wt. Triangle taper with a sinking tip on the other spool; pure poon fishing machine with a rod that can handle anything 100# and up!

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,347 Posts
To really do this right you have to start with the target in mind. So here are my go to outfits based upon my targets:

Bull reds: Sage Xi3 10wt with a Rio Redfish on an Abel Super 10 and a Sage Salt 9wt with a Rio Redfish on an Hatch 7+

Slot reds: Sage Xi3 8wt with a Rio Redfish on an Abel Super 7/8N and a Sage Xi3 6wt with a Rio Redfish on an Abel Super 6N

Tarpon: Sage Xi3 12 wt with a Rio Tarpon on an Abel Super 12 and a Sage Xi3 10 wt with a Rio Tarpon on an Abel Super 10

Steve, I think you have a thing for XI3's and Abels! ;)

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Ted, you are correct. When you find something that works for you why change to something else!. Note however that my new favorite bull red outfit is the Salt with the Hatch 7+. The reel was a thank you gift and I fell in love with it in Argentina!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
168 Posts
Searched for this type of thread but no luck, I'm new so hopefully this type of question hasn't been beaten to death.

What are the top 2 (more if you deem necessary) rod setups that always make it on to the boat. Details of Rod/Reel/Line selection, and what your target is.

TFO Axiom 8wt, 3-Tand T-70, 8wt Rio Tropical Outbound Short Target - Redfish, Jacks, Bonito, for windy days
Sage Xi2 12wt, Tibor Gulfstream, 12wt Scientific Anglers Mastery Target - Tarpon....will be my first year specifically chasing Panhandle Tarpon
9wt Gloomis GLX Classic, Nautilus NV 10/11, Wulff triangle taper...11wt Hardy Sintrix, Nautilus Silver King, SA Tarpon Taper

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
It's all situational. My 5, 7 & 8 wt setups see the most use. I will usually bring a few rods along depending on what I might run into. I might go up a rod if the wind becomes an issue, or go down a rod if it's glassy.

Bass - 5wt hardy zenith, nautilus fwx

Redfish trout
7wt sage salt, galvan t, wulff btt
8wt hardy proaxis x / hatch7+, wulff btt

Big reds, cobia, Bonito, baby poon, permit
9wt sage xi3 / hatch 7+, cortland liquid crystal
10wt hardy proaxis / hatch 9+, sa tarpon

Tarpon
11wt hardy proaxis x - Colton Torrent 11, sa tarpon
12 wt hardy proaxis x - hatch 11 plus, sa tarpon

·
Registered
191 Posts
top 2?
7 wt Sage method, Hatch finatic 5+ with rio redfish line
8wt Scott Meridian, Hatch finatic 7+ Airflo Chard's Tropical Punch

on light day I'll drop the 8 and add"
6 wt sage salt, Hatch finatic 5+ with rio redfish line

on heavy days 6 and 7 stay home and add:
9 wt sage salt, Hatch finatic 7+ with Airflo Chard's Tropical Punch (switch to rio permit for long casts to spooky fish)

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,290 Posts
Right now my two favorites for what I do are the 8 wt NRX Pro 1, Ross F1 or NV 9/10 and NRX 7 wt with Ross Evolution.
But I have a feeling the new Meridian 8 wt 8'4", Abel 7 or Ross or Galvan T-8 will take a favorite spot. Most of my lines are Rio Redfish because that is what we fish for but I do have a reel with 8 wt SA Titan taper that comes in handy when it is breezy.
I will use the new 6 wts for a change of pace, small reds, and sea trout.
The heavy fly rods I have are 10 wt Crosscurrent Pro 1 and the new 10 wt Meridian two piece but if I don't get to Florida soon they will just continue to gather dust.

·
Banned
78 Posts
Favorite 2:
Backcountry: Sage Xi3 8wt, Tibor Everglades, Rio Bonefish
Ocean Side/Tarpon: Sage Salt 11wt, Tibor Gulfstream, Cortland Tropic Plus 9ft ghost

Usually have a Sage One 10wt , Tibor Riptide, Cortland Liquid Crystal Clear, with me
Picked up a Hardy Proaxis 9wt, Hatch 7+, Rio Permit, sneaky like the Hardy

·
Registered
287 Posts
1. Sage Xi3 8wt. Nautilus NV-G 8/9. Rio Bonefish Quick Shooter

2. TFO BVK 6wt. Nautilus FWX 5/6. Wulff Triangle Taper.

·
Bait Hater
551 Posts
Normal Days:
T&T Exocett 8wt, Tibor Everglades, Wulff BTT 7wt
Sage One 7wt, Tibor Backcountry Wide CL, Wulff BTT 7wt

Heavy Days:
Add Sage Xi3 9wt, Tibor Everglades, SA Mastery SW 9wt
Drop 7wt

Light Days:
Drop 8wt
Add Loomis IMX Pro 6wt, Tibor Backcountry Wide CL, Wulff BTT 5wt

·
Registered
287 Posts
update:

1. Orvis Helios 3D 8wt - Tibor Everglades - Cortland Liquid Crystal 8wt (clear)
2. Orvis Helios 3D 10wt - Tibor Riptide - Cortland Liquid Crystal 10wt (clear)

·
Registered
228 Posts
My go two...

Sage xi2 with Mako 9500 (8-10) love this reel sent to me personally by Jack prior to his passing with a personalized note.

Orvis Helios with Abel Super 9

Like IfSteve have an affinity for Abel’s.

More in quiver but love these two also have a 7+ Hatch in blue/orange “Gator” colors but a special edition Denver Bronco Super Bowl win....colors scream go gators!

·
Fly-By-Night
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I might as well update too.

Meridian 8wt w/ Tibor Everglades, but I still bring the Axiom 8wt if it's windy that thing is a cannon when I need power.

Recently added a 10wt Helios 3D and I swear that thing is lighter than the 8wt Axiom. Riptide on that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I’m mostly only fishing for Redfish in the Lowcountry:

8’4” 8/9wt DeepBend Rodworks Lowcountry Flats Glass with a Tibor Everglades and SA Grand Slam line.

9’ 8wt Scott Meridian with a Tibor Everglades and SA Amplitude Bonefish line.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
691 Posts
Asquith 8 wt with Nautilus XL max w airflow ridge with clear tip
asquith 10 wt with Nautilus NVG 8/9 w airflo bruce chard tropical punch (larger reel used for larger targets)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Currently (soon to change)

8 WT STS - Hatch 7+ - SA Bonefish line
12 WT STS - Hatch 11+ - Rio Flats pro w/ stealth tip in 11 wt

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,227 Posts
8wt Loomis NRX w/ Tibor Everglade & Rio Summer Redfish line
6wt Sage ONE w/ Tibor Freestone & SA Mastery Bonefish line

Preference depends on time of year, conditions, and the fly being used.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Epic 888 gets the most bow time. Followed by a 1 piece H2 8wt. The H2 is boring but most people can cast it well enough to get the job done. A good 10wt is indispensable and should be my #2 but lately I haven't been venturing out in the weather that would require casting a wet sock at redfish.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts