Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have two Fenwick Aetos in 5wt and 8wt and really like them. Broke the tip on one of them and they had me a new one in a week. Great rod.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,122 Posts
To me the new echo prime feels a lot like the nrx, but half the price. Seem like a good stick but isn’t the same action as the old one piece primes it replaced still a good rod. It’s a little slower than the epr I casted both were 12wt’s.

The old recon’s were great rods. The 10 being my favorite followed by the 6 and the 8.

I personally don’t mind paying for older rods off eBay. Of my main stable most are 8-10 years old and I still search eBay religiously for spares at good prices just in case I break one. I’d rather have a rod I really love then buy 3 others worried about what their current warranty program is like or what other model they will soon replace it with.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,284 Posts
None of the alternative rods you mentioned are built as well as the previous generations of top end Sage and Loomis fly rods, so the older rods if not abused are a better deal and cast as well or usually better with the right line.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,869 Posts
The Lamson standard seat saltwater rod is hands down the best bang for the buck in my opinion.
I could not agree more. I have cast them all and these rods are the real deal for the money!

Reactions: Renegade

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm a bit in the same boat, and I stick with the shopping for used Loomis CCGLX's and NRX's (not a lot of experience with the Xi3). I haven't cast that many new top-end rods that I prefer over them, let alone mid-priced rods.

Having said that, I haven't cast all the mid-priced rods out there and I'm sure a lot of them cast great (I've heard especially great things about the Lamson SS). However, I kind of doubt that, even if they cast as well, that they'll be as durable as a CCGLX or NRX. I've owned a few mid-priced rod that found themselves going back for warranty pretty often.

Long story short: For me, a great casting, durable/reliable but used Loomis is preferable to a new mid-priced rod.

·
Registered
2001 Hells bay guide
6 Posts
I have not bought a new rod for a while. At the ripe old age of 45 i feel like i am still in the mind of the sage xi3 and loomis cc glx as the standards. I fished those rods in 7wt -12wt... and they all just work casting from 30' to 80'. I can try and track these down used in questionable condition for maybe $350... or do any of the new "mid priced rods " compare?

I also fish the ECHO EPR rods which i love for power... but the tip breaks real easy and i am getting tired of buying replacements.

So i guess the question is do any of the $350ish modern mid priced salt rods compare to the top end rods from 10 years ago?

Some i were wondering about
TFO axiom 2x ( i did not like the axiom 2 in 7wt and sold it)
TFO BVK still a contender? does it break still?
Fenwick AETOS
New Fenwick salt
ECHO Prime
Hardy demon
TT zone
New Orvis recon ( i loved the older recon... i have been scouting ebay for a deal)

curious on your thoughts
Im a huge fan of the echo boost salt and personally like the way they cast...but with that said i picked up a couple TFO tfr rodsand other than slowing down your casting stroke a little there really pretty indestructible...just my 2 cents

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have several Orvis Recons , 4,5,8. Had a 10 but traded it for a H2
I just recently ordered the new Sage Sonic #6 to use as a streamer rod , but USPS has Had it hostage for 9 days between Memphis and Nashville.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have owned most of them. My quiver is full of NRX's an Asquith, and an Oyster Bamboo Rod I built. I picked up a Lamson as a back up for an overseas trip and was blown away. It is twice the rod of the TFO's and Echo's for the same/similar money. I cast it as well as any rod I have every owned, even if it is slightly heavier.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
wow the Lamsons have quite a following here... was never even on my radar. I just found a used last years Recon for a good price. That rod seems to do it for me and seems like a well built blank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another vote for the Lamson. Very impressed with my 6wt for light saltwater. Echo prime is also very nice in that range as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also fish old higher end rods. They tended to be well rounded taper designs. Just a little heavy, but do all well. Seems a good number of mid-priced rods are just ok, and either light but lack power, or clubby.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I say nothing new to say here: Hard to beat TFO rods. I use A2, A2x- (to new to have storng pnion but I am happy so far), Mangrove and BVK. Mid price but high shelve performance and top shelve warranty - if needed.
(I even like a lot chaep low price black label!)

(I do not care about Clouser somehow though (and would gladly get rid of 790- cast few hours/perhaps I did not match line well).

I cast few Echos and they were good rods but I do not remember specific models-sorry.

Ross used to made surprisingly good and chip rods but they are out and RR does not support any warranty to my knowledge so I would stay away if found.

I do not dig reddington- perhaps I am wrong. But few R I cast did not make me smile at all for some reason.

all subjective (- to some extend :))

21 - 33 of 33 Posts