Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not bought a new rod for a while. At the ripe old age of 45 i feel like i am still in the mind of the sage xi3 and loomis cc glx as the standards. I fished those rods in 7wt -12wt... and they all just work casting from 30' to 80'. I can try and track these down used in questionable condition for maybe $350... or do any of the new "mid priced rods " compare?

I also fish the ECHO EPR rods which i love for power... but the tip breaks real easy and i am getting tired of buying replacements.

So i guess the question is do any of the $350ish modern mid priced salt rods compare to the top end rods from 10 years ago?

Some i were wondering about
TFO axiom 2x ( i did not like the axiom 2 in 7wt and sold it)
TFO BVK still a contender? does it break still?
Fenwick AETOS
New Fenwick salt
ECHO Prime
Hardy demon
TT zone
New Orvis recon ( i loved the older recon... i have been scouting ebay for a deal)

curious on your thoughts

·
Registered
285 Posts
I like the TFO Axiom IIX and the BVK. I haven't had breakage issues with my BVK 8 wt and I've tried to blow it up on a few 30+ pound redfish. I think if you use it properly and don't high stick you won't have issues.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I absolutely love my Axiom 2x (I’ve never used the axiom 2). Coming from my echo boost salt it’s much smoother and more accurate. It felt better to me than the EPR I have used before.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
23 Posts
The Lamson standard seat saltwater rod is hands down the best bang for the buck in my opinion.
I have to agree w/ that. I've got 3 8wts -- a Meridian, an NRX, and the Lamson SS. The build quality isn't nearly as nice -- after 2-3 trips the cork was lookign at a little ratty -- but it is a sweet casting stick. It might fit my casting stroke better than the Meridian and equal to the NRX.

·
Registered
Buggy Whip Aficionado
42 Posts
I have not bought a new rod for a while. At the ripe old age of 45 i feel like i am still in the mind of the sage xi3 and loomis cc glx as the standards. I fished those rods in 7wt -12wt... and they all just work casting from 30' to 80'. I can try and track these down used in questionable condition for maybe $350... or do any of the new "mid priced rods " compare?

I also fish the ECHO EPR rods which i love for power... but the tip breaks real easy and i am getting tired of buying replacements.

So i guess the question is do any of the $350ish modern mid priced salt rods compare to the top end rods from 10 years ago?

Some i were wondering about
TFO axiom 2x ( i did not like the axiom 2 in 7wt and sold it)
TFO BVK still a contender? does it break still?
Fenwick AETOS
New Fenwick salt
ECHO Prime
Hardy demon
TT zone
New Orvis recon ( i loved the older recon... i have been scouting ebay for a deal)

curious on your thoughts
I love my BVK, and TFO’s warranty is second to none. Also heard great things of the Lamson SS though I’ve never fished it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A dissenting vote perhaps - I love fishing the "older" rods and tend to lean to Sage. To me weight matters; I love the NRX in #8 but I think the Sage One edges it slightly in the #10. You can find lightly used NRX's and One's in that $400 range to your door and I think the fit and finish and casting prowess is just unbeatable. The rods made by TFO, etc just aren't as well finished. They cast well enough and their warranty is probably better. You haven't mentioned which weight you're after, but the higher you go the more you find someone who bought the rod for one trip and realized that saltwater fly fishing is hard and they'd rather dump $350 into other gear.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
257 Posts
I like my 9 wt TFO Axiom II. Just about my favorite SW rod is my 8 wt TFO Lefty Krey I've had for a few years.

I have more expensive rods (Winston & Asquith) but TFO is hard to beat at their price point IMO.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A dissenting vote perhaps - I love fishing the "older" rods and tend to lean to Sage. To me weight matters; I love the NRX in #8 but I think the Sage One edges it slightly in the #10. You can find lightly used NRX's and One's in that $400 range to your door and I think the fit and finish and casting prowess is just unbeatable. The rods made by TFO, etc just aren't as well finished. They cast well enough and their warranty is probably better. You haven't mentioned which weight you're after, but the higher you go the more you find someone who bought the rod for one trip and realized that saltwater fly fishing is hard and they'd rather dump $350 into other gear.

looking at the 7wt and 8wt sizes. I have an xi3 9wt, EPR 10wt i am happy with. I have a 12wt salt i never use that is actually up for sale right now on the forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have not had any issues with my TFOs. As a matter of fact, they have outfished some of my expensive rods on several trips (Scott, Sage, Loomis) where the TFO was the only one left standing.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,120 Posts
Add the Sage Foundation and the Reddington Vice to that list. Hard to go wrong with just about any rod on that list. FWIW, I love the Xi3 rods and have a couple of them I bought used.

·
Registered
2019 Jackson Mayfly, 2018 Jackson Kilroy DT
192 Posts
No, buy the older higher end stuff
Good plan! Guys are constantly looking to add 10 more feet to their casts (I guess like golf) and will buy the "latest, greatest" gear and then sell last year's model to make room. You can usually find some really top end rods for dimes on the dollar.I recently sold some $950 Winstons (10/12 wts) for half price that I felt that I'd no longer use and just hate "collecting" expensive gear. Watch the threads for misc. gear here on Microskiff.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Your Sage xi3 was not a medium priced rod when purchased new while it was current.

In today's market, your mid-priced saltwater rods will run in the $450--$550 price point. Examples would be the Loomis IMX-Pro, Scott Tidal, and Sage Maverick.

There certainly are some rods in the $350 price range that cast well. But, like a lot of things out there, you usually get what you pay for.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts