What air compressor to get

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by habanalure, Mar 9, 2015.

1. habanalure

habanalure I Love microskiff.com!

I'm in the market for an air compressor for my shop. I do a lot of sanding on boats. As well I would like to use air tools IE cutting wheels, impact wrenches spray gun etc.
    I read about voltage, CFM , PSI etc.
    I don't want a massive tank, just one that would do the job.
    Thanks for your imput.

2. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

The bigger the tank the better. The bigger the tank the loss the pump is running to keep up the air pressure. On impacts you want high psi, and don't need much At all tank size. But when spraying a boat or sanding it really taxes a smaller compressor. I would say get at least a 30 gallon tank with the biggest motor you can find on it. The cheaper units will have the tank size you want but will have tiny motors on them that take 10 minutes to fill up instead of 2-3 like a better compressor. My pops has an older Campbell hausfeld that is actually a really nice unit and has sprayed my last 2 hulls. I just got a nice Ingersoll rand a year ago and it's the cats meow. But I have painted my outboards with awl grip with a 10 gallon piece of junk compressor and it came out great. But anything bigger than an outboard wouldn't work

3. tomahawk

tomahawk Well-Known Member

What cut said. You want the biggest baddest 240 volt mofo you can get for the $$ you are willing spend if you are running sanders, cutoff wheels and other high cfm tools.
    Don't even think about one of the oiless ones.
    I have a craftsman 120v 25 gal professional. Its a good compressor, but not so much for running sanders. It will run them, but I have to blow a shop fan on it to keep it cool when sanding for extended periods. My next one will be a big boy :cool:

4. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Make sure you are looking at ones that the CFM rating is higher than the tools you intend to use.

I believe sanders require the most CFM's. All the other tools can be run on Harbor Freight treasures including spray guns.

Skip the motor that is not belt driven. The noise will drive you insane.

5. Tommysmicroskiff

Tommysmicroskiff I Love microskiff.com!

Look into equipment auctions

I have a big Quincy pump twisted by a 5 Horse large frame Baldor motor sits on top of a 120 gallon tank ...

came out of a 70's gas station its Awesome ...

6. Tommysmicroskiff

I ran a commercial repair facility for years ...

and if I had it to do all over again I would run one of these
    Proudly built by Americans

Real Americans that love to work NOT Union dolts ...

http://www.sullair.com/americas/en/stationary-air-power/products/es6-s-energy-compressor

7. Tommysmicroskiff

Life at Sullair
    An Employer of Choice

At Sullair, we do not want you to feel that you are just “coming to work”. In fact, the work environment at the facilities and among our people creates a collegial and welcoming atmosphere. With common goals company-wide, employees at Sullair find encouragement in their supervisors, and cooperation amongst peers that makes you really want to come to work!

Sullair also encourages a work-life balance by offering employees various amenities to help promote a healthy lifestyle. You can walk our campus and notice employees working out in our fitness center and indoor basketball court during their lunch break.

To develop a family atmosphere, Sullair has developed an events committee that plans various events for employees and their family to take part in. Over the past years, Sullair has hosted family picnics, children holiday parties, and holiday luncheons.

Sullair values the opinion and voices of each employee at Sullair. That’s why Sullair participates in an employee engagement survey every 2 years to learn what our employees are thinking and feeling so that we may develop action items to help enrich their career at Sullair.
    Benefits

As an employee of Sullair, you can choose from a variety of benefits that can enhance areas of your personal life. Whether it be improving your health, saving for your retirement,or continuing an education, there is a program out there for you.

For more about benefits and career information, contact our Human Resources department.

8. devrep

devrep Well-Known Member

This is mine. Northern Tool. Made in USA since 1920.

[​IMG]

9. devrep

devrep Well-Known Member

The most important thing for running sanders and air tools is that it's a 2 stage pump.

10. NoeWayJose

NoeWayJose Well-Known Member

That's a decent compressor :)

Dave's quincy is the Siamese model with the big intercooler