Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gunnels on my big boat need some love. Looking for advice wet sanding. Ive done auto body , shower/tub repairs. Rough fiberglasser, great sander. I ve got electric and air sanders. Scared of the power sanders on fiberglass, sand thru factor. Anyone got a rough idea how thick gel coat is. Has to be thicker than a tub surround ,rite ?boat too big to do by hand ( i’m too old to fight ,too slow to run) All advice welcome. 18yr old H/S 22’ lts tunnel thx. Anyone use rejex , by corrosion X?

G

·
Rob, get yourself a couple carpenters pencils, scribble all over the hull. Put a couple drops of dawn in about two gallons of water and get yourself a spray bottle with some water in it. I would go over the whole thing with 400 in a criss crossing pattern “not back and fourth or up and down” repeat with 600 then 800 using the pencil scribble for a guid coat. Aftet the 800 hit with a wool pad on a rotary buffer with some 3m high gloss gelcoat compound and she’ll sparkle!

The gelcoat should be between 15-20 mils thick +/-, stay off the edges the buffer will catch them enough as the gel will be thinner in these areas. Don’t over sand it, use the pencil for your guide... when the scribble is “erased” move on.

·
Brandon, FL
10,970 Posts
I did the same thing to a Boston Whaler. Paint It Black told me about a compound to use and a polish. The compound started out with bigger crystals and as I used the polisher they broke down in size. After I was done I would never have known it was not sanded. All was done by machine and it was the first time I ever used a machine for this.

Unfortunately I do not remember what the products names were. Maybe shoot him a PM.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I did the same thing to a Boston Whaler. Paint It Black told me about a compound to use and a polish. The compound started out with bigger crystals and as I used the polisher they broke down in size. After I was done I would never have known it was not sanded. All was done by machine and it was the first time I ever used a machine for this.

Unfortunately I do not remember what the products names were. Maybe shoot him a PM.
Shurhold makes a product called Buff Magic, which I believe is designed as you describe. I have not used the jar I have yet, but will be soon on a HB Guide I just picked up that is in need of some love.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts