Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dragged the Devilray down to West Palm Beach for some vacation time and fishing!

Mar 21 Morning launched at Bryant Park and headed north. Very full high tide! We searched around to find anything, after about 1.5 hours of no bites on anything and running around the ICW. We ended up at a small bridge with shrimp on jig hooks and we found fish! We caught catfish, Mangrove snapper (invited back home for lunch), Sheepshead (invited back home for lunch), a huge whiting, a stingray. That was about all we caught that day. Headed in before 12.

Mar 22 Night Launch at boyton for a solo mission on dock lights. I was throwing all fly that night and had 5 eats but didn't have the leaders tied correctly and got broke off every time. Bite stopped at around 12 AM when the moon came out.

Mar 23 Morning
Went out with our family commerical Fisherman on the ocean with his boat and caught King Mackeral nearshore fishing. That bite was very strong because we only brought 3 to the boat for 2 hours of fishing. We headed closer to the beach and found the Spanish Mackeral popping and jumping and caught a handful while slow trolling back to the ramp. Found some jacks and small spanish and called it around 12.

Mar 23 Night
Best night of fishing! The full moon effects were less felt. We launched at around 10 pm and hit two lights. The GF got her first snook on fly that night and it was, I think, just under slot. She had numerous eats at the light after several fly changes. Funny thing was the snook wanted nothing to do with the dead shrimp we brought. I got on the bow and after one more fly change I got a snook of my own!

All in all good trip! Pics to follow!

·
You got to get burned to learn
458 Posts
Nice report. My parents live around Hypoluxo and I've always want to inshore fish down there but never really knew where to start. How did you determine what lights to fish at night?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice report. My parents live around Hypoluxo and I've always want to inshore fish down there but never really knew where to start. How did you determine what lights to fish at night?
Just go out and try it! A good start would to go slow by docks and see if there is fish on them. Greed dock lights we’re holding the best for me.

·
Registered
383 Posts
my back yard. There can be some decent fishing around here. Night time the lights are usually pretty good. It's no wonder the snook weren't eating dead shrimp. It's because they are keyed in what the current is bringing around the light, and it's usually either A) very small shrimp (probably way smaller than what you were throwing) or B) glass minnows. I still maintain the a small micro minnow or glass minnow pattern fly is the best thing to throw at docklight fish. For day time, you're best bet is to cast flies into the longer docks behind hypoluxo early morning, or troll plugs / bump live baits by seawalls and docks. I run charters in this area so PM me if you want more details.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my back yard. There can be some decent fishing around here. Night time the lights are usually pretty good. It's no wonder the snook weren't eating dead shrimp. It's because they are keyed in what the current is bringing around the light, and it's usually either A) very small shrimp (probably way smaller than what you were throwing) or B) glass minnows. I still maintain the a small micro minnow or glass minnow pattern fly is the best thing to throw at docklight fish. For day time, you're best bet is to cast flies into the longer docks behind hypoluxo early morning, or troll plugs / bump live baits by seawalls and docks. I run charters in this area so PM me if you want more details.
That's what seemed to the be the key. Super small flies with 6-8" strips, best results were on dime sized crab flies in pink/white or leech style shrimp flies again really small stuff on size 8 or 6 hooks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts