Welding or brazing

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by firecat1981, Aug 7, 2011.

1. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

Thinking about making my own TM mount from some scrap aluminum again, but want it to extend like a birdsail mount. For joining aluminum parts together like this would you weld or braze? Or better yet is welding neccesary, or is brazing ok being it should not flex?
    If it needs to be welded I'l have to call in a favor, but I can do the brazing at home.
    The mount will be smoothed and painted after, not polished.

2. twitch

twitch Well-Known Member

With all the stress and beatings that the BS type mounts take, I would have it welded. JMO

3. firecat1981

Is there a major strength difference between brazing and welding? or is it less fracture prone....basically what's the major advantage?

4. twitch

twitch Well-Known Member

I was told that welding was stronger because it penetrates the surface fusing the metals together and brazing just lays on top.

5. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

Good aluminum welding is usually TIG or MIG

There is "aluminum solder" very hard to use

Head north on highway 98 until you see highway 54 look for the welding shop The man is a GOD !

He welds all my prototypes ...

Or if you are on a budget you can build one from steel and gas weld it then have it powder coated ... It will get you by for the short haul ...

6. Quad1973

Quad1973 I Love Reds!

Welding is always the best option. I have a couple good friends that can do all the welding for you here in Hudson if you can't find anyone closer.

7. firecat1981

I have access to someone who can weld, it would just be much easier if I could braze it at home. Thanks.

8. gbud1969@gmail.com

gbud1969@gmail.com I Love my Piranha even more...

Here is what I just came up with. Got some aluminum from a friend cut it up and had him weld and coat it. He said it should be welded.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. firecat1981

Thanks, I have a mount similar to that one already I made from my last rig, I was thinking something a little slicker this time like the birdsail, but with a bigger pad.