Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
BBA Counselor
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about making my own TM mount from some scrap aluminum again, but want it to extend like a birdsail mount. For joining aluminum parts together like this would you weld or braze? Or better yet is welding neccesary, or is brazing ok being it should not flex?
If it needs to be welded I'l have to call in a favor, but I can do the brazing at home.
The mount will be smoothed and painted after, not polished.

·
BBA Counselor
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a major strength difference between brazing and welding? or is it less fracture prone....basically what's the major advantage?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I was told that welding was stronger because it penetrates the surface fusing the metals together and brazing just lays on top.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Good aluminum welding is usually TIG or MIG

There is "aluminum solder" very hard to use

Head north on highway 98 until you see highway 54 look for the welding shop The man is a GOD !

He welds all my prototypes ...

Or if you are on a budget you can build one from steel and gas weld it then have it powder coated ... It will get you by for the short haul ...

·
I Love Reds!
26 Posts
Welding is always the best option. I have a couple good friends that can do all the welding for you here in Hudson if you can't find anyone closer.

·
BBA Counselor
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have access to someone who can weld, it would just be much easier if I could braze it at home. Thanks.

·
I Love my Piranha even more...
176 Posts
Here is what I just came up with. Got some aluminum from a friend cut it up and had him weld and coat it. He said it should be welded.

·
BBA Counselor
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I have a mount similar to that one already I made from my last rig, I was thinking something a little slicker this time like the birdsail, but with a bigger pad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts