Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been messing around after getting frustrated with opening up my fly box only to have some of my weedguards bent in every which way and never really going back to their original shape. I used 30 pound fluoro and creased it (with pliers) then make two other creases about a quarter of an inch to either side of the first crease but at a 90 degree angle. The idea here was to create a weed guard that you could lay flat and then reset it when you tied it on to your leader and doesnt have the weight of those wire weedguards. Havent actually fished it yet but it holds up really well in the fly box and it seems like it should be able to take some hits to weeds without getting knocked off the curve of the hook. symmetry is important with this one but after a couple tries I can whip one together in <45 seconds. Ignore the fly, was just practicing on some duds. Haven't seen this done before with fluoro so I thought I would share. Let me know what yall think.

Attachments

·
Registered
988 Posts
I tried the same thing (just a hair shorter) and they worked okay, but I don’t like weedguards and I cut them off after a couple of trips. I prefer to use bendbacks over shallow grass and oysters. I don’t really know what it is, but weedguards bother me. Getting crotchety in my old age, I guess......

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,097 Posts
I use small pieces of water bottle plastic to make weed guards. I use the cheap thin ones. Learned it on here

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,097 Posts
I put spots on my clear weed guards with a marker

Reactions: RJTaylor
1 - 7 of 7 Posts