Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Paddling away...
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having a real hard time finding the Krylon Webbing Paint locally, and as I was wandering around the local marine store, I noticed a quart of "Webbing Solution". I know it's used for gelcoat, but I was wondering if it would work with paint? I'm assuming since the gelcoat is sprayed, it's already reduced and mixed so that it is spray-able. So I figure it might have the same effect if used on paint? My skiff restoration is at a halt right now waiting to be webbed! Once I web it, I can start putting fittings, hoses, and pumps. Then the deck liner will go on. I can order the webbing paint online, but if this would work, a trip to the marine store (that is 2 lights away) would get the job done in a timely manner.

Thanks
-Eric

·
> PRO STAFF <
7,527 Posts
http://www.fiberglasshawaii.com/resins/resins-gelcoats/gelcoat-usage.pdf

webbing application bottom of page, left side

·
Paddling away...
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://www.fiberglasshawaii.com/resins/resins-gelcoats/gelcoat-usage.pdf

webbing application bottom of page, left side

Cool. Do you know if they sell gelcoat by the quart? I know the gallon of gelcoat is $30 at the local marine store.

·
Paddling away...
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yeah, by the way, you're are the man when it comes to google hands down. Way to earn a position on the forum!

·
> PRO STAFF <
7,527 Posts
I've seen white gelcoat sold by the quart can.
Pigments also for coloring the gelcoat.
Used to get it at a marine hardware store
north of the Miami River at NW 27 ave.
Check your local suppliers.
West Marine had some the last I looked locally.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fiberglass Coatings has it in pints, quarts, and gallons. Cheaper than West Marine. 800-272-7890 There is a store in Ft. Laud or we will UPS it. $30 for gelcoat is pretty reasonable though.

·
Paddling away...
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fiberglass Coatings has it in pints, quarts, and gallons. Cheaper than West Marine. 800-272-7890 There is a store in Ft. Laud or we will UPS it. $30 for gelcoat is pretty reasonable though.

I picked up the webbing solution. I was going to get a quart of black gelcoat but the guy told me to save my money and just use polyester resin with black pigment. He told me to mix 1 to 1 webbing solution with polyester resin (with catalyst and black pigment), then 10% acetone and spray it. I'm going to give it a try and see if it works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts