Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many times, weather conditions are different than forecast (especially wind velocity and direction). interested to know your opinions on the best forecast model to trust, NOAA, wunderground, etc.

· Registered
13 Posts
I like to look at Windfinder to read a tabular forecast to get a general idea of what may happen. Then I dial in with windy, and tropical tidbits by cycling through the various models (GFS, EURO, NAM, Hi Res, etc...).

Good old fashioned know how gleaned from this book is also helpful.

Cloud Atmosphere Daytime Sky World

· Registered
3,069 Posts
I use Windfinder a lot when I have an upcoming trip. I start looking several days out so I can get a feel for has the forecast improved or deteriorated.

Reactions: GSSF and fjmaverick

· Registered
320 Posts
NOAA "Point Forecast"
NOAA "Graphical Forecast," be sure it is set to Marine & the Weekly View is turned on. Really like this one because you slide the cursor around and can quickly get a feel for the forecasted big picture; wave height, rain, wind, temp.

Something to note for each, be sure to check/confirm when the current forecast was updated. On the Grahical Forecast its on the very bottom of the chart, Point Forecast is in the title area. I compare everything and come up with my own guest-a-mation,....unfortunately no body hits it all the time. The locations I use are Miami & Tampa.

· Registered
2001 Maverick HPXT
265 Posts
Windfinder & Fish Weather for wind - I don't always trust their rain and cloud cover forecasts so I just use the standard Weather Channel and local news for that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts