"Weaponized Mosquitos"

Discussion in 'Environment' started by yobata, Nov 8, 2017.

1. yobata

yobata I Love microskiff.com!

2. commtrd

commtrd I Love microskiff.com!

Hmmm the gov in control of something else. In light of their Sterling record on everything else, what could possibly go wrong?

3. UnitedFly

UnitedFly Well-Known Member

I expected this to be a thread about someone mounting guns on their Beavertail.. You've let me down..

4. yobata

I think this is a private company doing the work, although it is with the government's approval...

I too am scared of genetically modifying animals, but they say it has been done successfully in other countries.

I do like not dealing with mosquitos however! :)

5. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

Sounds like some of the other issues we face decades after humans try to “fix” mother nature. There’s a list of invasive species that are destroying habitat and food chains because humans thought they wound play God. Hopefully there are no ill after effects from this.

yobata and tgjohnso like this.
  6. j102

j102 Active Member

It’s definitely scary. Every time we play with nature, it fights back.
    That’s how The Walking Dead started. :cool:

RunningOnEmpty likes this.
  7. crboggs

crboggs I Love microskiff.com!

This can't possibly be a good idea...

LowHydrogen likes this.
  8. fjmaverick

fjmaverick Well-Known Member

I think they did this down in the keys a few years ago as a test site. I was skeptical and thought it was a bad idea but I think it worked well.

Havnt heard much about zika recently.

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  9. fjmaverick

fjmaverick Well-Known Member

On the other hand I do know someone who refuses to visit florida because he is trying to have children and supposedly zika can cause infertility. True story.

10. RunningOnEmpty

RunningOnEmpty I Love microskiff.com!

Every time we play with mother nature things go south. I thought those pesky bastards keep all the juvenile fish fed?

11. LowHydrogen

LowHydrogen Fly-By-Night

Exactly.
    I almost went on a decommissioning project at Anniston Arsenal several years back, paying out the wazoo, but after I heard the scope of work, I had to pass. I really lack confidence in the Govt, esp in high consequence scenarios.

12. Flat Mad

Flat Mad Active Member

Love bugs were an attempt to alter mosquitos so was the blind mosquitos what could go wrong....Will just found out blind mosquitos are some kind of midge so scratch that one off.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  13. yobata

As a UF grad I have heard that story about love bugs, but it's just FSU propaganda! ;)

https://www.snopes.com/critters/lurkers/lovebugs.asp

Padre likes this.
  14. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Aids was going to kill everyone.
    Ebola virus was killing everyone.

People still live after aids. Ebola seems to have calmed down. Zika has been quiet for a while now as well.

So now we want to kill off the mosquito population. I think there might be some food chains affected by this and don't feel it would have a positive outcome.

Just sounds like a bad idea. Besides, if you kill off the mosquitoes, there will be other people fishing where there were once none.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    yobata likes this.