Waxing/spraying bunks

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by jgregory01, Jul 29, 2010.

1. jgregory01

jgregory01 I Love microskiff.com!

I am thinking about waxing/spraying my bunks to make launching/loading easier. If you have done this have you had any problems with dirt collecting on the bunks and scratching your hull? Thanks. Oh...I have a 16ft center console Palm Beach.
    [​IMG]

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Nope, same wear patterns as bare carpet.
    But way easier to launch and retrieve.

Wax 'em if you got 'em... ;)

3. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

yep the gulf wax works much better then any spray I've tried and stays on longer.

4. jgregory01

The photo didnt work...here it is.

[​IMG]

5. jgregory01

Ok...gulf wax it is. Just a good slathering I suppose will do.

6. Gramps

Gramps Living &amp; Dying in 3/4 Time

Apply after you have been out on the water and the trailer bunks have had time to warm up. Run the bar o' wax until the bunk appears "frosty", do this on three trips consecutively and you'll be set for 6 months or more.

7. firecat1981

Gramps is right, it sounds like alot of work but only takes about a minute to do both bunks.

PS don't leave the wax in the car in the box alone, it is wax and it does melt with heat.

8. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

i really need something to make launching a little easier as i back the trailer till the bunks are just touching the waters edge then i push it off..... lots of grunt work there ;) didnt want my bunks to looks as though i just caked on a bunch of gook all over them so was looking for some wider glide sticks in black..... what do the bunks look like after the wax has been on them a while?

9. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

like this...

[​IMG]

10. firecat1981

ok first who cares what your bunks look like? they are for function not style! Do you stroll up to other guys at the ramp wearing a pair of cut off jean shorts and a tank top and say "Hey you got some nice looking bunks back there pal" ? ;D

Second, you can barely notice it once it gets heated up and soaks in.

11. mark_gardner

i simply asked cause i've had nightmares of seeing my bunks looking like someone just got done iceing a cake :eek: :D but the picture brett posted shows otherwise ;D

12. Gramps

Gramps Living &amp; Dying in 3/4 Time

SBC you don't notice it once it melts in. It appears Brett's picture is right after application, when the sun beats down on waxy bunks they look slighty wet.

13. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

No... ;D...not quite

That's what bunks look like after a year of use,
    and 4 blocks of wax have been absorbed into the carpeting.
    Makes for a slick suface, as Daytona Kemo puts it:

;)

14. mark_gardner

ok, ok ....you guys convinced me  ::) gonna hit winn dickie maybe tomorrow lookin' for some wax and a lonely girl in need of a new boyfriend  :D ;D

15. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

SBC you got some pretty low standards 'cause there aint nothin but trash strolling the isles at that nasty store. ;)

They should have stayed in bankruptcy...they certainly haven't gotten better a single day since then.

16. Flyline

Flyline Won &quot;Do More With Less&quot; Award!

X2 on what gramps said.  I had been using liquid rollers, sticks and silicone.  I don't like the result.. too expensive for short term.   Now I'm using a non-toxic wax and works a lot better.  Its cheaper and last longer but don't leave the winch unhooked otherwise the boat will slide off the trailer.  I had a 18 center console keylargo and works great for a big boat.

Wax the bunks really good or have your women in bikini do it for you while u sit on your chair and crack a beer...  ;D

17. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

post deleted so as not to offend a forum member's sense of propriety.

18. mark_gardner

i need all the help i can get [smiley=1-headache.gif] [smiley=1-lmao.gif]

19. buckwelder

buckwelder I Love microskiff.com!

this used to be my favorite website to learn about shallow water fishing but assssholes like brettttt and his rediculas coments completly turned me and my family away for good . please cancel my membership now . we will not be exposed to such trash any longer

20. mark_gardner

WTF????? ( what the frack ;)) you serious ??? :-?