Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me preface this by saying, my fishing experience comes from freshwater. Primarily clear mountain streams. I’ve always been a fan of Lamson reels, and have several.

I’m also a fan of Tibor, and I admire some of the other high end reels, so no need to sell me on those; however, I’m curious as to how Lamson holds up in the salt environment? Also, do certain models do better than others?

Thanks for any and all help!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
209 Posts
I have a Litespeed I’ve used for bones with no problem. I don’t know much I’d trust them on really big fish. If you compare one to a Tibor/Abel/Nautilus etc. they seem less substantial.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
201 Posts
I have had a Litespeed 3.5 as my primary redfish reel for seven+ years. No issues other than a stripped handle on the spool. Lamson fixed that under warranty. Still looks new. The coating is pretty durable. The drag is plenty for reds, including Louisiana bulls.

I rinse it with fresh water after every trip, but that's about it for routine maintenance.

I would go with something beefier if targeting Jacks, Tarpon, big Bones...etc. But, no issues for mid-sized flats fish.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,655 Posts
I fished Guru 2's and Velocity's for years as my primary 6 and 8wt set ups in the salt. They have held up fine with freshwater rinse and a good wipe down after every use. I didn't love the drag on bigger fish as it tended to surge but they still caught a lot of fish. I have since retired the Lamson's and use Ross and Abel reels now but they are still good reels. The Lamson's are also wonderfully lightweight.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Every Lamson Reel from the Liquid up is a sealed drag.

Liquid, Guru, Speedster, Litespeed are all quality reels (y)

The new Litespeed is a really impressive reel. Ton of line pickup

·
Registered
284 Posts
The Cobalt I have is a freaking tank. The only truly sealed drag on the market that is tested by an independent testing agency

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,267 Posts
Love my Lamsons. Best reel for the money IMHO

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Again, thanks to all. A lot of you feel the same way that I do about Lamsons. Anyone chase tarpon with them. I haven't, and I'm curious how the drag holds up. This is certainly not a flame post. But when you read posts of others, etc. they swear by the drag on a Tibor/Nautilus/Hatch/Abel...you very seldom hear of a Lamson. People also talk of reel failure when fighting big fish.

I've always felt that they had a more heavy duty drag for the reel size anyway...not a bad thing. My experience is that they have always been well constructed. As I said in my original post, I am not criticizing any other reels, as I have Tibors as well, but I fish majority fresh water, and wanted a few quality but budget friendly outfits for when I go to the coast. I'm having a hard time justifying a $1000+ reel that will only get fished a few times a year.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1959 elgin
152 Posts
I don’t have experience with Lamson Waterworks reels over 3.5 but I have several Velocitys and Litespeeds. One of them for 10 years. They are all solid with plenty of drag for everything I’ve fished(not tarpon). You can get them used for a hell of a deal. I’ve only bought 2 brand new. The balance on 7-9wt rods - to me- is almost perfect.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I worked for WW/Lamson for a short time when I was going to school at Boise State. Their top of the line Vanquish reel was gorgeous, not sure why they discontinued it. I came from a background of only using Tibors and had the utmost trust (and still do) with that company.

WW/Lamson contracts out (locally) the machining of their reels, then in shop in Boise they put it together by hand. There are certain parts and materials that they use that I questioned. That said, I have friends that use their reels for all the big three and rave about it. Their customer service and repair policy is incredible.

I am biased when it comes to reels, I’ll never buy anything but Tibor. What you should do is call the shop and ask for Tim Volk, he is the GM. I’m sure many things have changed since I worked there, including materials. He’ll give you the facts as to why WW/Lamson is an amazing reel and help you with your purchase.

Edit: Tim Volk is an amazing guy, you’ll have a blast talking with him on the phone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fish a Lamson Speedster 3.5 here on Long Island for albies. balances beautifully on an 8 or 9wt rod. Drag has smoothly handle the biggest albies, and the retrieve rate is dynamite if they turn and run back at you! Don't know if the conical drag has enough surface area to handle bigger fish though, wouldn't be my choice for tarpon or GT's

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a brand new guru s I’d probably let go for a good deal. Bought 2 and used one the other has been sitting on the shelf

1 - 18 of 18 Posts