Water Temp Sender

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by devinmurray99, Jan 18, 2011.

1. devinmurray99

devinmurray99 Well-Known Member

I am in the process of installing a new jack plate and I have concerns about sufficient cooling if I jack the plate too high.  I know how to watch the tach. as well as listen/feel for slight cavitation but I'd just don't feel I can be too safe.

Anyhow after a little research I figured before I put the tools away, I'd get a water temp. guage and sender for my 50 Merc (50ELPTO).  I can find Teleflex guages and sending units for V-6 motors everywhere but nothing made specifically for my 3cyl. 

Does anyone else have experience in what I'm trying to do and/or know how and where to find/install/rig a sending unit?

Thanks.

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Instead of the temperature gauge, install a water pressure gauge.
    Much more useful when dealing with a jackplate.
    Easier to install also, nothing electrical at the outboard.
    Just a tee spliced into the visual discharge tube.

If you really want to install a temp gauge
    here's installation instructions

http://faria-instruments.com/site_manuals/IS0003B.pdf

3. lemaymiami

lemaymiami Well-Known Member

x2 on that water pressure guage... I won't rig a skiff without one..... You'll get a much better warning watching your water pressure than waiting until things begin to heat up (damage probably already occurring by the time motors begin to overheat...).

4. devinmurray99

devinmurray99 Well-Known Member

I found a kit by teleflex on closeout for $39 so I'm going to run with it. Thanks for the help guys.