Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently Blair Wickstrom over on the Florida Sportsman site asked folks about their opinions on their new TV show, Florida Sportsmant Watermen... It got some pretty good reviews from folks that watched - and it got me thinking a bit... Here's what I came up with - pass it along if you think it's worth doing...

Like the show - it gets a thumbs up from me...

Additionally, as far as water conservation and quality issues there's much more to do... Unfortunately, too often, we're preaching to the choir - and those of us that use and love the outdoors aren't a majority at all. We really need to figure out how to reach the rest of the folks in our state - since all of us will be needed to pay for and support a really long term commitment to fix, repair, and preserve our waters around the state. As you know we're at the wrong end of at least 80 years of mistakes (most, but not all done out of ignorance of the consequences of one scheme or other to promote flood control, or assist agriculture, or indeed spur development in our state).... Many want to make the Corps of Engineers one of the big villains in our water problems - but they didn't do one thing - we didn't ask them to do...

Whatever we come up with - count me in. I'll speak up anywhere I'm wanted, and add my written words to any presentation or publication.... and if decision makers need to see up close and personal - the areas I know and love, send them my way for a trip into the backcountry of the 'glades - my treat....

If I'm right it will take years and years to fix our troubles and I doubt I'll see much more than a beginning to the effort at my age. Young folks coming out of college today will actually be able to find a lifetime's career in this effort if they've got the right skills and dedication. It's up to all of us to see that they have the funds and our state and local governments have the direction needed to keep on course...

Good luck with all you do Blair...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,433 Posts
Any funding or land acquisition at the Federal level where it has to happen will not be approved until 2020 budget year. It could happen sooner, but the senate would have to push it. Scott and Rubio are key players so what do you think will happen? State of Florida funding is a drop in the bucket compared to federal dollars. Wake up!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
A shame louisiana can't find a solution, the Dutch fixed their low lands.

Yep. Watch Lube Job on Netflix of Prime, can't remember which one. Damn shame what has happened in the Delta.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,001 Posts
Since fishing a particular spot with a small island, other day I returned n was indistinguishable as island had eroded away n only way to confirm was point saved with GPS

·
Banned
4,551 Posts
A shame louisiana can't find a solution, the Dutch fixed their low lands. Toooo many studies n no fixes, maybe little under d table...
Maybe the Levee system that was extended by more than 3500 miles after the Great flood of 1927 did too much good. It essentially halted re nourishment of the delta with flood sediment. Prior to the levee extension this sediment periodically restored the wetlands that the gulf and tropical storms washed away seasonally, there was balance. But these days the river doesn’t have anything to deposit. Its course is static where it used to move quite a bit. Not surprisingly the gulf water action washes away more and more wetlands every year unabated.

It's interesting though that the flood controlling marvels of yesteryear in Florida and Louisiana are proving to be ecological disasters.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
At the ripe old age of 51 I'm quickly approaching the "old guy who remembers the way it used to be" status, and trust me it weighs on me. Seeing the changes in the river and reefs is hard to swallow.

A solution to this issue will not happen in my time.

The reality of what we're facing was told to me by a "high-ranking" SFWMD officer (if there is such a thing) when he said "if we had a plan and funding in place TODAY, it would be 30 years before anything was completed".

Obviously, neither a plan nor funding is in place. So add the time required for those to the 30 year estimate and you have your answer as to when this issue will be resolved.

That's the reality, and it's unfortunate.

Reactions: Net 30

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Maybe the Levee system that was extended by more than 3500 miles after the Great flood of 1927 did too much good. It essentially halted re nourishment of the delta with flood sediment. Prior to the levee extension this sediment periodically restored the wetlands that the gulf and tropical storms washed away seasonally, there was balance. But these days the river doesn’t have anything to deposit. Its course is static where it used to move quite a bit. Not surprisingly the gulf water action washes away more and more wetlands every year unabated.

It's interesting though that the flood controlling marvels of yesteryear in Florida and Louisiana are proving to be ecological disasters.
As muddy as the Mississippi is, it only carries a fraction of the sediment it did before all the levees were built up and down it's length. So pretty much the delta will never built be up by that process again. Well, maybe in 14,000 years they say.

Interesting. There were some projects here on the middle Texas coast that were funded by some of the BP money. What a crock. We weren't effected. I would have much rather seen that money go towards Louisiana projects.

Reactions: EdK13
1 - 11 of 11 Posts