Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 14ft fiberglass hull (will post pictures soon). The hull is a 1969, and i am unable to find a name. I plan on rebuilding the boat from the bottom up. As i started grinding and cutting away i removed an old rusty screw from the outside of the transom. After removing the screw maybe a couple ounces of water slowly came out. I expanded the hole to about 3/4" to help let more water drain and drilled a few holes around the area. It is just a small area in the transom that seems to have water damage. The majority of the transom is dry and sturdy. Any advice? Should the whole transom be replaced?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I started picking apart at my transom a few hours ago... I was wondering the best way to get this thing out with doing the least damage to the old wood and glass? I would like to save the wood to trace out a new transom. I ripped off most of the glass on the inside, popped out the drain plug, and much of the glass from the outside of the hull is de-laminated from the transom. I have never replaced a transom on a fiberglass boat, any advice? tips? materials for new transom?

What I'm working with so far...

·
> PRO STAFF <
7,520 Posts
I like using a mallet and sharp chisel to cut the outline of the transom loose, no dust!

how to rebuild...

http://www.thevirtualboatyard.com/2009/03/replacing-a-rotted-transom.html

·
I Love microskiff.com!
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the input. got the old transom out and will be putting new one in after finishing some sanding and grinding

1 - 6 of 6 Posts