Water in my fuel

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by bodenhamerb, Oct 5, 2010.

1. bodenhamerb

bodenhamerb Well-Known Member

So about 1 week ago my "water in fuel" sensor went off in my 18 hpx.....so i took it back to where i bought it to have it fixed, while fixing it they found 2 gallons of water in my tank, in my gas line, fuel filter, inline fuel filter, and my vst tank....they sucked all the water out of my tank, drained the vst tank, and replaced both filters problem solved right? I picked her up on friday and was gonna use her for the weekend. i put my boat in sat night and fill it up at the lhp marina... the next day i went to jupiter and back....i get home and my sensor is going off again.....the guys who i bought it from say its my fault and i have to pay to have them fix it...but i think that it is my over flow valve on my tank letting water into my tank instead of letting gas out [smiley=hmmm.gif] cause i have never had an issue with water in my gas before....could this be true, anyone else have an issue like this with a maverick boat?

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

I'd be looking for a leak, or an improperly installed vent line.
    There's only a few ways water can enter a boat's fuel tank.

1) Through the fuel fill, usually because it's not properly seated or the seal is worn out.

2) The hose to the fuel fill and fuel tank neck is loose and water is leaking down the inside of the hose.

3) The vent hose is improperly installed and is allowing water to back up into the tank.

4) The vent through hull fitting is defective or installed incorrectly.

5) A leak atop the tank where one of the tank fittings is attached.
    Could be cracked or loose, so water that drips down on the tank, trickles in.

6) The fuel you purchased was already contaminated.

previous rant...

http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1263485151

just for clarification...

VST is vapor separation tank, used to remove fuel vapors from the fuel line
    before it gets to the high pressure fuel pump and causes a vapor lock.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/feat_hpdi_2006.aspx

3. lemaymiami

lemaymiami Well-Known Member

There's one other thing that can really bite you with the vents on enclosed tanks - particularly with flatsboats (ask me how I know...). Most vents face down and to the rear to prevent any water from getting in. Then many of us stake up from the rear in less than ideal weather, particularly with fly fishers aboard. The result is all that wave action from the rear, instead of the front, can have just the right angle to end up in your vent tube and with enough of it there some of it can get into your tank. The slightest amount of water goes straight to the bottom of the tank and just accumulates... You can get the same effect if you're not careful when washing and hosing off your boat if you're not careful around that vent. There are vents designed with a plastic shield to prevent just what I'm talking about and that's what should be on any flats boat but many, many skiffs don't have them. Good luck, hope this helps. Water in your fuel is bad stuff, I always dump my fuel filter contents into a glass jar so I can see if any water is coming from my tank...

4. bodenhamerb

Well i usually take it in the ocean and i gues the constant water coming up the side...(my over flow valve is on the right side about 4 ft from the front of the boat 1 1/2 ft off the water just for refernce) is getting into that little whole and pushing it self into my tank...but this is not my fault right? its mavericks design so they should be paying for it right? [smiley=sad.gif]

5. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

a devils advocate might ask if this boat is meant for the ocean. [smiley=devil10.gif]

6. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

No problems until a week ago, hmmm?
    How old is the boat?
    What's changed recently besides the water problem?
    Added anything that might have caused a leak?

Check your warranty for coverage limitations.
    Most cover only structural hull defects.
    Not anything beyond that.

7. bodenhamerb

its brand new....bought it in july...and its a 18ft maverick it can handle a calm ocean day...im not talking like sailfish weather lol

8. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

My guess is the fuel supply at your last purchase location was contaminated.
    The last two fill ups were at a local marina?

That'd make me suspicious.... [smiley=paranoid.gif]

9. bodenhamerb

ive been filling up there for years....and ive filled over 5 different boats there....not one has had water in the fuel

10. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

You now know what the possible causes are.
    Now it's the process of elimination to find where the water's coming from.
    Good luck...let us know what you discover.

interesting read...

http://www.charterworld.com/news/fuel-tank-testing-for-contamination-completed-by-valvtect

11. lemaymiami

lemaymiami Well-Known Member

Me, I'd move heaven and earth not to ever use fuel from a marina unless I had no other choice. I buy my fuel from any high volume gas station with Shell, Mobil, etc. recognized brands. Imagine the difficulty of maintaining fuel tanks next to a marine environment. It's tough enough for any gas station that's miles from the water... unless they do a high volume business and their fuel supply is getting replaced constantly.

I was told some years ago that modern gasolines begin to break down chemically as soon as thirty days old... The same OMC master tech advised me to always top off my tank at the end of the day and never put away the boat with a half full tank. As a result of his advice gasoline is the one thing I don't usually worry about.

12. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

I found water coming in through the vent.
    And that was apparent when making a sharp left turn (vent on the left side) then the motor crapping out less than a minute after.

I highly suggest you do not run the motor at all until everything is completely cleaned out thoroughly.
    So much stuff has been changed on my motor and it's still not running right.

It's supposed to be done on Friday, but lets see.

13. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

It might be possible to stop that water inflow caused by a hard turn
    by using a vent line surge preventer. Originally designed
    to stop fuel discharge overboard through the vent line during refueling.
    Water influx could be stopped by installing 2 surge stops in opposing directions.
    One near the fuel tank to stop fuel surges, with the stop end towards the tank
    and the other near the through hull vent fitting with the stop end towards the vent fitting.
    That would be an easy fix, inexpensive also.

:-?

14. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

Mel replaced the vent on my skiff with a vent that has one of those built into it.
    But still trying to get all the components replaced that failed due to it.