Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Water in compartments

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  BDann 
#1 ·
I’m running a HB Waterman, and I noticed some water in my livewell even though it was plugged and I didn’t run the pump. Tje next trip I had water in the starboard rear compartment where the battery and pumps are. I have no idea how the water is getting in there. Any ideas?

#4 ·
Live wells will get some water without running the pump if the sea cock is open while running on plane

Live wells can get water through through the overflow pipe from reverse thrust of the engine

live wells will get water if the drain valve isn’t closed or leaks

the starboard stern compartment can get water through the rigging tubes at the front and rear of the compartment if you spray a hose up under the gunnel or wet well OR one of the through hulls for the drain or overflow is leaking

#12 · (Edited)
Having the livewell plugged has nothing to do with water getting in,your livewell pick up is designed to feed water while boats underway 👍 only way to stop the flow is have a shut off valve between pump and well....most livewells have a way to shut water off inside well ,its also used to cut the flow back to keep the pump from out running the stand pipe and prevent overflow into the boat its self.....

I was told its better to have to much pump and cut it back rather than not enough pump and it struggle to do the job....pump will last longer and better performance 👍😎

#14 ·
Line what’s been said, it can be the rigging or the joint where the deck meets the hull. Some can seep through the latch pull after you wash the boat and there’s water inside it. If it’s where the cap and the hull meet by the rub rail, you can smear some clear silicone over it and see if that stops it. It’s kind of a temp fixi, may help you identify whether it’s coming from.

#19 ·
I sprayed all around the hatch lids for a while, no water in the hatches. It appears there is a gap between the rub rail and deck on the transom. I’m guessing that when I’m poling solo the back end gets low enough to let water in the gap. I guess I’ll need to re seal the deck to the hull.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.