Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Water/Fuel Seperator Filter

Tags
filter
1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Marsh Pirate 
#1 ·
Anybody ever have one of these leak? My buddy had an issue when we launched this morning. We can’t determine for sure where the leak is coming from. There is a “bubble” on the lower side of the filter, but could not see a crack. Other than replacing the filter, what would you check in a pinch?

#6 ·
This is my second boat I installed one on, never leaks a drop so I guess I got a good one. I have a 2001 Yamaha 70 2 stroke so no fancy water sensors. I peek at it after every trip and have not had to drain water yet but on my last boat it saved the motor. I had a cracked vent fitting on top of my tank that let water get in the gas when my ice chest drain plug was out or water ran into the bow hatch from the deck.

#5 ·
Marsh Pirate, my Yamaha tech said that the newer motors all have sensors that trigger an alarm anytime it detects water in the fuel. So in his view, the Racor type filters are not really necessary and kind of a waste of money. If you buy good fuel, keep your tank full when the boat is stored and make sure the fuel cap gasket is supple, there should never be any water in the fuel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.