Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be there for Spring Break next week with the family and neighbors. We have a place right on the water and will probably have kayaks. Any fishing intel on that area?? Artificials that work? Tides? Etc.? Thanks!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Early next week looks like some afternoon low tides and later in the week there’s an early morning flood. The water temp is up around 60 already so the reds might be active on the flood. I haven’t gone for trout lately but I’ve heard the bite has picked up recently. I’m not an expert on colors but reds around here will eat about anything if they are happy. If they aren’t a little one will eat it anyway. PM me and I might be able to help a little more

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Early next week looks like some afternoon low tides and later in the week there’s an early morning flood. The water temp is up around 60 already so the reds might be active on the flood. I haven’t gone for trout lately but I’ve heard the bite has picked up recently. I’m not an expert on colors but reds around here will eat about anything if they are happy. If they aren’t a little one will eat it anyway. PM me and I might be able to help a little more
Thanks for the intel! I'll be looking for that flood tide. Do they not move around creeks on low tide?

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reactions: jonterr

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thanks for the intel! I'll be looking for that flood tide. Do they not move around creeks on low tide?
Yeah, they they are still fairly schooled up as far as I know. Once it warms up they will spread out more. You know which creek/river y’all are staying on?

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, they they are still fairly schooled up as far as I know. Once it warms up they will spread out more. You know which creek/river y’all are staying on?
We are staying on Leadenwah Creek. I found a tide chart that I think is almost exactly where we will be. Shows high tides in the morning then dropping out into the early afternoon. Eight foot tidal swing is blowing my mind!!

Reactions: Gervais

·
Registered
223 Posts
We are staying on Leadenwah Creek. I found a tide chart that I think is almost exactly where we will be. Shows high tides in the morning then dropping out into the early afternoon. Eight foot tidal swing is blowing my mind!!
Yeah, the tide definitely controls the fishing around here. The good news is you’ll have a big enough tide cycle to give you some options on when it will be easier to find fish. With a kayak you can use the current from the tide to your advantage. For the lows I would focus on the mouth of the creek if you have time. It looks like a little distance but you can use the outgoing tide to get there and the incoming to get back. Find shallow banks with oyster near or around,on google earth you can use the old sat photos function to find a low tide. Flood tides use google to find light colored patches of marsh near the shore looking for the high marsh (short marsh in high places) if you find fish on the flood they won’t be far away on the low and it works the other way. Flood use a 1/4oz gold Johnson spoon, lead them and just twitch it when they get up on it.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yeah tell me about it. I moved from Titusville with no tide. To SC with its massive tide swings. It took a bit of time to learn it. It's kinda like the Glades. There are a ton of places that look good. But don't payout very much. If they are still schooling. In general they won't move too far up the narrow creeks. Due to the massive swings. I always fished around creeks with a sound or a deeper hole winter/early spring. I would find a lot of big schools on the edge of the ICW also. I have had many good days just east of you on the Stono and behind Kiawah. It always seemed to hold fish behind the island. There is one creek with a large bar. With a deep pool behind it. It's like fish in a barrel at low tide. So if you can find a bar across a creek fish behind it. All that water movement will usually dig it out. And hold fish at low tide. In the summer the fish are all over the place. But I have never seen the huge schools of reds like in SC in the winter. Plus the water gets gin clear way in the back. You are kinda in the transition phase. So you may have big schools and 3/5 packs running up the creeks. Another tip is be ready for huge bonnet heads on the edges of creeks. They are the biggest I have ever ran into. They recently broke a lot of records with em around there. I tried a few times to get a record on fly. But of course that never seemed to pan out like I envisioned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts