Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
627 Posts
Hey all!
Would like some opinions on wading booties.
Thanks in advance
First off, where are you wading and what is the bottom ?

For a mostly sand bottom with shells, seagrass, and occasional rocks I really prefer the Simms Zip it booties. They are far superior to the Orvis Christmas island bootie and the typical world wide sportsman type booties (these are made by multiple companies with different logos). The Zip it booties paired with a pair of Simms wading socks are a really tough combo to beat. My feet are tough and i actually prefer going barefoot but I will say that these booties helped me go a lot further on an all day wade (8-10 hours) and miles walked.

·
Registered
373 Posts
This is a quandary that I have as well. I currently use the scuba looking ones and they're OK for a little bit but I had been looking at the Soft Science boots. Anyone have experience with them?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,259 Posts
Zippits all the way.

I've waded the pancake flats in Oahu, the sand/oyster flats here in Tampa, and the limerock bottom in Ozello in my pair and they are still going strong.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First off, where are you wading and what is the bottom ?

For a mostly sand bottom with shells, seagrass, and occasional rocks I really prefer the Simms Zip it booties. They are far superior to the Orvis Christmas island bootie and the typical world wide sportsman type booties (these are made by multiple companies with different logos). The Zip it booties paired with a pair of Simms wading socks are a really tough combo to beat. My feet are tough and i actually prefer going barefoot but I will say that these booties helped me go a lot further on an all day wade (8-10 hours) and miles walked.
Guess i should have put this in my original post!
I fish a lot of varied terrain, crushed coral flats to grass flats occasionally crossing an oyster bar, so the strength of the soles is a definite concern. I was also wondering if the sizes run true with the Simms? I have read that some brands tend to run a bit large.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
627 Posts
Guess i should have put this in my original post!
I fish a lot of varied terrain, crushed coral flats to grass flats occasionally crossing an oyster bar, so the strength of the soles is a definite concern. I was also wondering if the sizes run true with the Simms? I have read that some brands tend to run a bit large.
For that bottom, these should be perfect although the oysters might shorten the life on them. I wear a size 12 in everything and i found the size 12 Zip its to be just a hair too snug on the toes. I ended up with size 13 booties and the simms wading socks. Without the socks I feel that they would be slightly too large. I am being picky though as they don't come in half sizes.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3 Posts
I have Soft Science 'The Fin' boots - they've been great so far, but I mostly wade in rivers. Very comfortable, and I've hiked miles in them with no problems. Was able to find them for just $41.

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,436 Posts
Thanks but a little to large, interesting option though!
Not sure if Cabela's still offers this style, but you might check for your size. I've had a pair for 10+ years and they're great on all bottom types. Good ankle support, too, for those unexpected holes or soft muck.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
35 Posts
I have Soft Science 'The Fin' boots - they've been great so far, but I mostly wade in rivers. Very comfortable, and I've hiked miles in them with no problems. Was able to find them for just $41.
I have great success with Soft Science Terra Fins. Wide box, durable, really comfortable. Use them in marshes in North Carolina.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Can't comment on wading boots, although I wear the cheap neopreme dive bootys with a hard rubber bottom in B-Bay and other than farmers foot tan line they work. I would not try them at Choko, I try not to wade there, as the oysters would tear them up.

I can say I have Soft Science Fins, shoes not boots, and they are very much generous a footbed fit and I find them actually dangerous in a wet situations on uneven surface. When that removeable soft sole is wet and you need off balance traction your foot slips around in the forward end of the shore.

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,655 Posts
I typically just wear an old pair of running shoes. What's the advantage of boots? Ankle protection? More secure fit?

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,384 Posts
I typically just wear an old pair of running shoes. What's the advantage of boots? Ankle protection? More secure fit?
They are made for wading. I don’t know about you guys but there are lots of days where I’m wading nearly the whole day, not just jumping out for 30 minutes. Tennis shoes do the trick but it’s kind of the same reason I don’t fish in jeans and a t-shirt.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've heard of some wearing old school Converse high tops.

Reactions: Smackdaddy53
1 - 20 of 65 Posts