Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used wade rods? Seems like a cool thing they have going on where you can do a “subscription” and pay off the rod over time or buy it out right thier 7&8 weights weren’t really expensive compared to a lot of rods with thembeing under 300 dollars, just curious about performance and quality?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Brought to you by the same guys that own postfly. I’ll give them one thing, they are good at marketing. Looks to me like a $60/$300 rod with some nifty colored wraps and cheap hardware.

If it were my money, I’d be looking for a TFO mangrove or Axiom II, maybe even a lightly used Hardy/Sage/Loomis for the same price.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
4,513 Posts
Smells gimmicky

·
I Love microskiff.com!
541 Posts
Don’t know about their rods but if someone has to make payments on a $300 fly rod they should reconsider this sport.. it’s expensive lol

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol I just wanted to know about performance I was looking at pulling the trigger on an axiom but then I saw these rods and it spiked my interest

·
Registered
926 Posts
but if someone has to make payments on a $300 fly rod they should reconsider this sport.. it’s expensive lol[/QUO

Had a local fly shop owner that would set a rod or reel for me behind the counter and I would pay him small amounts until paid in full. A great service and helped me get what I wanted even though they were only a few hundred dollar items. Just because I had to make payments, didn't make me not want to fly fish. Fly fishing doesn't have to be expensive unless you want it to be. Too much pretty good equipment today at affordable prices, both new and used. For example, I have an Okuma I8/9 that I bought for 60 new. This thing has seen action on the beach through the years, drenched constantly from waves, dropped in the sand, and bounced around vehicles and boats. With a little care and maintenance, still going strong. Looks like it has been through two wars, but so what...

The perception that fly fishing has to be very expensive, scares off many before they even explore the sport. Buy the best you can afford, but you don't need the best and most expensive to catch a lot of fish and have a hell of a good time.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Axiom II in 9 wt was a nice rod. Much faster than my 7Wt Mangrove but they indeed designed to be used for different purposes.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Axiom II in 9 wt was a nice rod. Much faster than my 7Wt Mangrove but they indeed designed to be used for different purposes.
Okay sweet then I’ll probably go with the axiom, how did you like the mangrove I was looking at but the axiom in an 8WT and then buying the mangrove for a 7WT

·
Registered
921 Posts
I think the Mangrove is slower than the axiom II and designed for quick, shorter shots from a skiff. My songs TFO LK Prof Series II in same 7 wt is much faster and better for wind and wading.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Axiom2 are great rods. Very similar to BVK but bit softer. BVKs are great too!!!!... (I am not familiar with mangrove)

Below Axiom2-8weight: tested in Yucatan. My guide "stole" one 9 weight from me and uses it for permit fishing for over a year with no problems.
upload_2019-2-6_19-34-57.jpeg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts