Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I'll be taking the new boat to our place in Florida 3-4 times a year for a week at a time each visit. Our condo does not have an available water source (hose) in the parking lot that will allow for easy flushing after a day of fishing which means unless there is another option I have not thought of, it may have to wait till I get back home to TN before it gets a good flush (with salt-away or similar). Given the limited exposure each year, should I be concerned? It will be used in fresh water outside of those limited visits. The motor is a new Tohatsu 20 four stroke.

Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated.

also, sorry, just realized this got in the wrong forum location, feel free to move

·
If it ain't broke tweak it a little....
254 Posts
Pump up sprayer to rinse salt off trailer and rods between use. Find a car wash with hose hookup to flush on a bad weather day. I'll let one of the boat mechanics answer to your concerns.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,283 Posts
Haul a 5-6 gallon portable can of water with you and add a hose fitting on the bottom of the side with a valve then run a water hose from the valve to the flush muffs and set the can of water on the deck of the boat to gravity feed water to the muffs. Screw the lid off to vent, turn the valve on and crank up the motor.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Publix Supermarkets usually have hose bibs around back.
Get one of those self coiling expansion hoses and keep it in the boat.

I would use a coin operated car wash to take care of the hull and trailer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Corrosion starts the moment water stops flowing thru the cooling system.Every day you don't flush after being in saltwater takes its toll. This will damage your motor over a very short time.Find a way to flush if you are going to be in salt-someway,somehow.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,283 Posts
Corrosion starts the moment water stops flowing thru the cooling system.Every day you don't flush after being in saltwater takes its toll. This will damage your motor over a very short time.Find a way to flush if you are going to be in salt-someway,somehow.
Flushing with Salt Terminator or Salt Away helps a lot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haul a 5-6 gallon portable can of water with you and add a hose fitting on the bottom of the side with a valve then run a water hose from the valve to the flush muffs and set the can of water on the deck of the boat to gravity feed water to the muffs. Screw the lid off to vent, turn the valve on and crank up the motor.
Do you think that will give enough water pressure at the muffs so as to not starve the water pump? If so, that may just work.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,283 Posts
Do you think that will give enough water pressure at the muffs so as to not starve the water pump? If so, that may just work.
Your water pump sucks water, it will work great. How does your water pump get water to the power head when you are idling at the boat ramp? It is a miniature water pump, as long as the rubber cups on the muffs seal up around the intakes you will be fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts