Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

VHF with GPS

3K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  mro 
#1 ·
Anyone running one of the newer VHFs with built in GPS?

The upgrade seemed like a cheap backup compared to buying a handheld.

I just bought a Standard GX 1800G. Anything I should be aware of, or watch out for?

Or opinions in general...

#5 ·
That model I bought is supposed to have the antenna built into the face of the radio. I was worried about that since I am planning to flush mount it. It'll be on the flat of my console angled up slightly so it should get a decent amount of open sky exposure.

I will report back with how it does once I get it installed.

#10 ·
Thanks, my thinking was I plan on being pretty far offshore in this boat sometimes, and even if I can't radio all the way back to shore/USCG there's bound to be another DSC capable VHF within range.

That antenna should work. You can test it at home via sea tows automation test. I think it’s 22/23/24/or25. Basically you do a radio check and it sends it back to you.
That's good info, appreciate it.

ques. of the day..are their dual antenna setups....2 in 1
I don't know, but you really got me thinking now... If there's not you might have a great invention. I know I would buy one just to keep from having to drill more holes in my boat and bolt more crap on.

#14 ·
I will have to look into that. I'll be running an HDS 12 right above the radio. I am going to attempt to run it via the internal antenna as well. Once again flush mounted so I'm going to have to see how it goes once installed. Got the holes trimmed and dry fit the other day. Still have some more glass and paint work to do but it's getting closer.
VHF will be just below the FF.
Plant community Vehicle Skiff Boat Speedboat
View attachment 130478

#19 ·
Ok, changed my plans up a bit to give it a cleaner look. Got my filler, paint and clean up done. Moved my volt and fuel gauges next to each other, removed the plugs and cut the hole for the VHF there.

Got everything wired, and powered up.

They both were able to aquire GPS signal flush mounted with no external antenna, AND while the boat was still under my barn! I was shocked. Any how here's a couple pics. Very happy.

Electronics Technology Electronic device Machine
Beam Ceiling Roof
Technology Electronics Electronic device Machine

#25 ·
Thanks! Yes, as long as the battery switch is on they have power, they're wired to the panel not the ignition.

BTW,
using 16 AWG tinned wire?
I didn't have to splice in any wire, the tails on both were plenty long enough to reach my panel.

You WILL need a VHF antenna.
View attachment 132192
Thanks. Yes, I have a 46" one installed, you can see it in the upper left of those pics.

#22 · (Edited)
The Lowrance HDS will work fine flush mounted, and no external antenna is needed. I run like that all the time in my skiff. You WILL need a VHF antenna. I use a 4' one that lowers down out of the way. My Offshore boat has an 8' one mounted on top of the T-top for maximum range.

Vehicle Water transportation Boat Plant community Skiff

#24 · (Edited)
Thanks mro..... it does exactly what I need. I did some touch-up work on it during my "stay at home" time last month, and also ordered a new motor, and it has shipped. (30hp tiller). Here in Homosassa I don't have a long run to the flats, so speed isn't an issue and I do fine with the smaller lighter weight motor.

Natural landscape Water resources Nature Vegetation Thermokarst

The boat is wide and very stable, so this old guy has room to stumble around. The front casting deck is pretty high, so I don't really need a raised platform to fall off of. Same with a rear poling platform. I mostly fish alone, so there's more than enough room in a 15' 9" boat. It originally had side console steering, but I now just use the console for electronics and a grab handle on the top.

Vehicle Water transportation Boat trailer Bass boat Boat

Reactions: mro
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.